PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up some great live rock from local reefer. What should I do now?

paparchasa84
01/01/2013, 03:07 PM
Just picked up some great pieces but am in no rush to put them in my tank. I have about 30 gallons of fresh ro di water. What could/should I do so that I get no pests or unwanted things in my tank? I guess I'm asking what's the best way to clean this rock?

Planet Q
01/01/2013, 03:18 PM
read the thread 'bristleworm fear' like 6 or 7 post down it kinda goes over that

Painted skin
01/01/2013, 03:20 PM
In a bucket of SW you can use a plastic bristle brush to scrub, as for pest like aptasia or majano anemones you can burn them off.

paparchasa84
01/01/2013, 04:10 PM
For aptasia I have 2 true peppermint shrimp that ate all my other aptasia I had months back so I'm not too worried about that. However I don't want to add them to the tank if possible. So you guys think I should leave them in ro di water for a few days? Before I do anything? Or should I bleach them and after a week clean them off? Just want to get the best course of action for this.

paparchasa84
01/02/2013, 09:00 AM
Would it be better to since there's some good growth on the LR to just qt the rock and cute it that way? Or just bleach all the rock and then after a week add it in bits to my DT?

paparchasa84
01/02/2013, 09:08 AM
Also for what it's worth since I purchased the rock last night it's been sitting in the saltwater of the reefer with no light and no heater. What I was thinking of doing it tomorrow I'm off it will be my rearrange tank. Clean sump, add new skimmer day. So I was thinking of making up some saltwater and just going to town with a toothbrush and cleaning as we as possible and possibly adding a few rocks to the tank. What do you guys think?

MrClam
01/02/2013, 01:02 PM
Mayb a stupid question, but why buy LR if you are just going to leave it in Ro/DI or bleach it? Either will kill all living organisms on the rock. Would be much cheaper to simply buy dry rock.

paparchasa84
01/02/2013, 01:41 PM
Really good deal on the LR. However I don't want to add nuisance of any kind to my tank.