PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On RTN Of Seriatopora

krzyphsygy
01/01/2013, 09:58 PM
Check out this coral dead center of the picture. The flesh appears to be comming off or peeling. I noticed it last night. I did alot of reading on RTN or STN and some of the interesting things I read is it is contaigous.
Well I bought some tunicates from a LFS that had alot of RTN on there acros. Unfortunately I had to add some of the water from there tank to mine so the tunicates were not exposed to air, but did not know that RTN/STN or Vibrio bacteria was contaigous or maybe transferable.

I did raise alk by 2 megs also over the course of a week so it could be from that.

Interesting huh.....sucks though. ORA pink Birdsnest was doing really well.

Not sure what to do now.

calc 425
alk 8.0
mag 1410
N03 0
P04 0

JAustin
01/01/2013, 10:17 PM
That alk flux may be your issue. What lighting and have you moved it recently.

krzyphsygy
01/01/2013, 10:25 PM
That alk flux may be your issue. What lighting and have you moved it recently.

I have an ATI 6x 80 watt fixture 60 inch over a 125. The coral has not been moved. I have had it for about 3 months, it sat on the SB for about 1-2 months, then about 1-2 months ago I mounted it. The alk swing happened about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

ebacon
01/02/2013, 12:38 PM
Two schools of thought, the mainstream is AT&T you should trim it immediately and discard the diseased area. I am of the opinion that it really doesn't matter if you leave the whole thing I there as no one is 100 % sure what causes this. (Despite what they may say). So leave it in there and unless you have some major water quality issue or something physically attacking it it will come back. Eventually.... I have taken so many "dead" corals from my LFS and club members that they were simply going to throw away. The only ones that did not make a comeback were due to bad husbandry on my part. Just my .02

krzyphsygy
01/02/2013, 08:08 PM
What is AT&T? I do think I want to leave it to see if it can recover. I feel the alk spike might have caused it and everything is fine now. It was steady at 7-8 for a while then I got a stick up my butt to raise alk to 10 to try and stimulate coraline growth so I raised it slowly to about 9. That and a new addition could have caused it.

I guess I am alittle worried about it starting on someother corals nearby. I have several sps on the same structure.

ebacon
01/02/2013, 08:16 PM
AT&T is American telephone and telegraph, also as in this case it was my iPad trying to be smarter than me, it should have said "that"

biggles
01/03/2013, 05:58 AM
Over the years i have purchased probably 70-80 SPS colonies as we don't have the massive frag availability here in Aus that is in the US. I think i lost 4-5 the first night to RTN out of all 70-80, most i knew were going to RTN due to their terrible shipping state. I had peeled off tissue draped over other healthy colonies and milky water it was so bad once and not once did i ever lose another colony from the single RTN colony. Don't get me wrong, my SPS were not happy for a day or two but everything returned to normal quickly - i always ran a lot of carbon full time so perhaps this helped and i was lucky..... I seriously think you should leave the coral be and let it recover, keeping your alk level right where it is and stable so things can adjust, don't try to correct it as this will likely cause more stress. From my experience, stylo's will regro quite quickly if the algae is kept at bay by a good CUC.

krzyphsygy
01/03/2013, 09:28 AM
I have not touched it. I wanted to give it a few days to see how this poll went. I have been testing alk and keeping it right on 8.0. It has not progressed any further (knock on wood) so that has been positive. Keeping a real close eye on it.

krzyphsygy
01/03/2013, 09:35 AM
Over the years i have purchased probably 70-80 SPS colonies as we don't have the massive frag availability here in Aus that is in the US. I think i lost 4-5 the first night to RTN out of all 70-80, most i knew were going to RTN due to their terrible shipping state. I had peeled off tissue draped over other healthy colonies and milky water it was so bad once and not once did i ever lose another colony from the single RTN colony. Don't get me wrong, my SPS were not happy for a day or two but everything returned to normal quickly - i always ran a lot of carbon full time so perhaps this helped and i was lucky..... I seriously think you should leave the coral be and let it recover, keeping your alk level right where it is and stable so things can adjust, don't try to correct it as this will likely cause more stress. From my experience, stylo's will regro quite quickly if the algae is kept at bay by a good CUC.

Thats good advice! Thanks, I appreciate your experience. I can picture that it looks crazy in my head.

krzyphsygy
01/07/2013, 09:09 PM
Alright, its been a few days since my last post on this. My alk has been stable at 8 however now the dead or STN area on the coral, I have some small algae growth. The area has not spread at all but now there is algae, but only on the dead area.

I wonder if its time to pull it and refrag on to a rock or something??

nysbadmk8
01/07/2013, 09:44 PM
Frag it.

ct_vol
01/07/2013, 09:57 PM
You won't have new growth over algae covered dead skeleton. If you find this unsightly, consider fragging.