PDA

View Full Version : jbj wavemaker

Subw00er
01/02/2013, 02:31 PM
I have the smaller of the two jbj wavemakers and cycle them every 30 seconds. I think I need more flow in my 50g. I was thinking of upgrading one of the powerheads to a stronger one. I heard that I need a certain type of pump for this sort of wavemaker on and off cycling and I want something that wont chatter on and be quiet. What is a decent brand of series of powerhead that will work for me and the jbj wavemaker setup that wont be as stupidly priced as a mp10?

Dexters Reef
01/02/2013, 02:57 PM
I have a 75 gallon with a JBJ wavemaker on 30-60 second cycles and use two Hydor Korali Evolution 1400's. The new ones (any Evolution model is the new style) are safe for wavemaker use, and the highest flow ones are under 60$ each. The magnet mount system is also very good, in 9 months they haven't moved at all, where in my other tank the powerhead suction cups fail every few months. Here are the available Evolution models, better prices might be able to be found elsewhere

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4586+23592&pcatid=23592

I keep a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and softies and everything is happy. These pumps make a wide broad flow and are not like a narrow jet stream like other powerheads.

Some people complain that there is a click noise when they startup, which is the propeller hitting a bump stop that prevents them from starting in reverse. Out of my two powerheads, one makes a click on startup, the other makes no noise at all. For the click, picture yourself double clicking a mouse quickly...thats pretty much what you might hear.

The manufacturer says the noise goes away with time, but that only happened for one of my pumps. Still waiting for the other one to catch up lol. My tanks in my living room and I dont notice the click over my skimmer unless I am right next to the tank so it doesnt bother me.

Dave Thebrewguy
01/02/2013, 03:11 PM
I haven't used the JBJ wavemaker but I have a pair of JBJ Oceanstream 1600s on a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro. They have a nice wide output and give me good flow in my 90 gal. They are dead silent and have run flawlessly for 8-9 months now. The magnet mounts are very strong and the powerheads don't move at all. They should be fine on your wavemaker.

Subw00er
Thanks for the info. That click would drive me mad! The tank is in my work room.

I was actually looking for something more towards narrow than wide. The jbj on there now are quite wide and only push about 1' or so so I am dealing with some dead flow areas and cyano. I need to be able to hit the middle of the tank from the side.. maybe 20" away..

Subw00er
Dave, I was looking to get away from the oceanstream. I use the 500gph now and I think 1600 will be way too much flow.. I think something around 800 with a bit tighter beam would be ideal.

Dave Thebrewguy
01/02/2013, 08:59 PM
They may be a bit much on your 50, or they might be OK, it depends on what's in the tank. I was afraid they'd be overkill in my 90 but now that I'm used to them, I could probably add even more flow. Most of the tank does not have enough flow for SPS. I can tell you that they each cover just about the entire 4' length of my tank.
Maybe try one 1600 with one of your 500s? That's the nice thing about my Red Sea, it'll run 3 or 4 powerheads so I'm thinking of adding a third one.

tst400
01/03/2013, 02:07 AM
I have 4 of the evolutions... All broke and started running in reverse... I just bought 4 of the jbj 1600s and a rkl to run them

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2