PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus NW-110 Skimmer Help

davidadelp
01/03/2013, 08:14 AM
I got this skimmer in the mail yday and put it all together and then this morning I went to put it in my sump and I cant get it to quit filling uup the cup with bubbles. How do I fix it? Its in about 8in of water the instructions says 6-10in is optimal water level so that shouldnt be the problem. No matter what way I turn the knob bubbles still keep pouring up and out. ive got to get this fixed this is what my old skimmer use to do and it drove me nuts till I took it off and sold it.

Please help!

JAustin
01/03/2013, 10:51 AM
make sure the outlet valve is in the full open position. Second, raise the skimmer so the cup stops filling up. If it's open all the way, you need to put it in 4" of water for a bit. Eventually it will pull out what keeps making it overflow. Then you can slowley lower it and adjust the gate valve.

Post a pic to give me an idea of your setup.

davidadelp
01/04/2013, 09:03 PM
make sure the outlet valve is in the full open position. Second, raise the skimmer so the cup stops filling up. If it's open all the way, you need to put it in 4" of water for a bit. Eventually it will pull out what keeps making it overflow. Then you can slowley lower it and adjust the gate valve.

Post a pic to give me an idea of your setup.

well it didnt seem to matter how open or closed it was it was just pushing a bunch of bubbles up so it filled up the cup. not even good sludgy bubbles just bubbles. How can I set it at 4in and then be able to adjust it deeper and deeper? I will take a pic tomorrow and post it.

davidadelp
01/07/2013, 11:41 AM
skimmer in about 4-5inches of watter
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/daviddelp09/IMG_8386-Copy.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/daviddelp09/IMG_8386.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/daviddelp09/IMG_8390-Copy.jpg

This is what the skimmer does. It wont quit just making regular bubbles so I left the hole open so it could drain out otherwise it fills up the collection cup up in about 45second.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/daviddelp09/IMG_8391.jpg

tinkerman
01/07/2013, 02:04 PM
It should quit overflowing if you dump what it is pulling out in the sink after a while. If your old skimmer wasn't taking stuff out you should have plenty for it to pull out and may require dumping a few collection cups before it settles down.

jcm2m9
01/07/2013, 03:00 PM
Did you recently glue a bunch of frags down in your tank? My skimmer will do that after I have used a bunch of 2-part epoxy in the tank.

davidadelp
01/07/2013, 08:01 PM
I let the skimmer do this for hours today actually about 8hrs. all it was doing was bubbling and filling up the cup with these bubbles. I left the cup plug undone so it would drain back into the sump. Ive not did anything different with my tank. I have no idea why it wont stop and start actually working like it should. Its driving me nuts im about to throw it out the door.

tinkerman
01/07/2013, 09:20 PM
It is working you are letting all the stuff it is taking out just run back into the tank so it can pull it back out again. If it doesn't settle down after filling the cup 6 times then I would start to wonder if it is working right. After it settles down I could see you having problems getting any skimmate cause it is in so little water.

davidadelp
01/07/2013, 10:30 PM
it really dont seem like its taking anything out because as soon as you turn it on it fills up the skimmer with bubbles then the cup. I would end up emptying my cup every 45seconds for who knows how long. Even once I take the cup off the bubbles continue to overflow. It just seems like something is wrong. The instructions says it needs to be in 6-10inches of water and its in about 4-5 now cause that was suggested above, It dont seem like anyway that I turn the knob that it helps anything it dont seem to calm the bubbles or anything, closing it off totally seems to make more bubbles which dont help me.

motojoe1988
01/07/2013, 10:52 PM
A heads up it needs to break in! I would take the whole cup off and let it just run for a day. Then try putting the cup back on and see how it goes. Any new additions to tank? Epoxy anything down? New filter sock?

davidadelp
01/08/2013, 08:43 AM
Hmm may try that but I heard the break in period is weeks. Nope no new additions but it should have plenty skimmate to pull cause this tank has been skimmerless for well over a month or two.