PDA

View Full Version : Parameters, new to testing reef

justinf67
01/03/2013, 10:11 PM
I have battled nitrates and with vodka dosing over the last 2 months, I have brought my nitrates down to 0. I received the Red Sea Pro Reef test kit for xmas, which has Mag, Calcium and Alk. I tried them out today.

Results were:
Nitrate: 0 (API)
Alk 10 (Both API and Red Sea)
Calcium: 300 (Red Sea)
Mag: 900 (Red Sea)

The Mag reading seems like it is WAY too low. I know it should be up at 12-1300 and my calcium should be 400-450. It has been 3 weeks since my last water change on my 75g with 40g sump. I usually change 30-34g every two weeks. Ran out of IO salt, ordered 200g box which is arriving next week.

I am a complete newb on what I need to do to bring my levels up to where they should be. Only corals in the tank are clove/star polyps, zoa frag and a Torch coral with 3 heads. I assume to torch is using up the calcium.

I know I need to dose things to get my levels up and I can add Kalk to my ato at a rate of 1tsp per gallon to maintain during the week. Is this the best way to do so? Or is it just because I havnt done a WC in 3 weeks. What do I need to bring my levels up to where they should be? Thanks for the help!

Steve Wright2
01/03/2013, 10:39 PM
Hi Justinf67

as you stated that Mag and Calcium level seems very low
aside from the Torch, what other corals/ clams etc are you keeping

the reason I ask, is that many a step has been taken in reaction to a flawed test result
either a kit problem, or occasionally user error due unfamiliarity with a new test kit

I would get the results verfied/ confirmed, before taking any drastic action

if the results are confirmed, then a Magnessium and Calcium supplement can be used to increase the levels back to within normal reef parameters

380 - 440 ish for Calcium
1280 - 1350 ish for Magnesium

with Calcium, an increase of 40ppm per day would be my choice thus if your Ca is 300, take 3 days to slowly increase, thus 340 then 380 following day, and day 3 up to 420

with Magnesium an increase of 100ppm per day is acceptable, so from 900 to 1300, take 4 days to increase this

but just to stress again - get those results checked/ confirmed, before making adjustments

Steve

justinf67
01/04/2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the response. Aside from the Torch, I have a small rock of zoas and a small rock of star polyps. No other coral, as I have had a battle with nitrates for a while and didnt want to add anything till my tank matured more.

I was planning on bringing a sample to my lfs who only does saltwater. But, I understand its a new kit, so I just redid the tests. Doing so, I realized a mistake I made. I am used to looking at the line on a syringe and using that for my gauge. On this 1ml syringe its different, U use the water line at the bottom where the plunger is. Silly mistake on my part, I was doing the tests before work and was in a hurry I guess.

The new results were, Calcium 380 and Mag 1160. I'd like to bump the calcium up a tiny bit to 400, and the mag is still pretty low. I realized I have some brightwell aquatics mag-p powder, so I will dose some in tomorrow. Any recommendations on what to use for calcium, or should I just leave it and let my water change bring it up a bit?

bertoni
01/04/2013, 12:30 AM
You could raise the Mg to 1275 ppm, the canonical ocean average, but 1160 ppm is safe enough.

For the calcium, a calcium chloride product like Kent Turbo Calcium is fine. There are bulk chemicals available, too, if you want to save some money.

bertoni
01/04/2013, 12:30 AM
You could raise the Mg to 1275 ppm, the canonical ocean average, but 1160 ppm is safe enough.

For the calcium, a calcium chloride product like Kent Turbo Calcium is fine. There are bulk chemicals available, too, if you want to save some money.