PDA

View Full Version : Can Apex control 16 (or more) dimmers?

danil
01/04/2013, 12:29 PM
I want to know how many (max) dimmers I can connect to one VarSpd channel on my full Apex and how many total on all four channels could be connected. Also with extra Variable Speed/Dimming Module (VDM) what would be absolute max number of dimmers. Would it be limited by USB (like) cable and its length, connections layout etc.? Dimmers are common Mean Well ELN-60-48D drivers. I'm looking for knowledgeable answer not guessing or 'thinking' please :). Also If there is recommended and max value I would like to know both. Thank you!

aquamanic
01/04/2013, 12:50 PM
I'm looking for knowledgeable answer not guessing or 'thinking'

Well, I'm just guessing here but I think....5 is about all that seems to work reliably. There was someone a while back had posted that he got 8 working on a single outlet but I don't recall what type of ballast he was using.

Problem is there's almost no current coming out of those...something like 10ma. So it's going to somewhat depend on the actual ballast and what its threshold is. At some point it can't see the signal but that's not something you're going to find published, tested, etc.

aquamanic
01/04/2013, 12:50 PM
Flippin RC double post again

phuzzykins
01/04/2013, 12:55 PM
It would be limited by the amount of current that a VarSpd port can source, and the amount of current that the ELN-60-48D will source from the 0-10v input.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either Meanwell or Neptune publishes those numbers. :)

The comprehensive reference manual says that the Apex can source "less than 10ma" and folks have measured the current draw of a Meanwell driver at about 1ma, but without stating the precision, accuracy, or calibration date of the meter used.

Allowing for measurement error, I wouldn't put more than four Meanwells on a single variable speed port.

phuzzykins
01/04/2013, 12:55 PM
It would be limited by the amount of current that a VarSpd port can source, and the amount of current that the ELN-60-48D will source from the 0-10v input.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either Meanwell or Neptune publishes those numbers. :)

The comprehensive reference manual says that the Apex can source "less than 10ma" and folks have measured the current draw of a Meanwell driver at about 1ma, but without stating the precision, accuracy, or calibration date of the meter used.

Allowing for measurement error, I wouldn't put more than four Meanwells on a single variable speed port.