PDA

View Full Version : how to maximize water volume in my refugium

LGB76
01/04/2013, 03:15 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank I will be using as my sump/fuge. it will be laid out as. skimmer>fuge>return.

Due to the space from my stand and skimmer, the water depth will only be 10inches deep in my fuge. I am not sure this will be adequate enough for a fuge or not. Should I just make the compartment for my fuge longer? Or what do I need to do thanks.

mcgyvr
01/04/2013, 05:25 PM
why the height limit? whats going in it? and a few dozen more questions to provide a meaningful answer.
You can make the baffles whatever height you need and raise the skimmer up on a platform if thats a problem..
10" will work. make it wider or whatever.. There is no golden rule to its size... build what works for you..

LGB76
01/04/2013, 05:30 PM
Tank stand is 28" clearance underneath. Skimmer needs to operate in 6 inches of water so im limited on how high I can raise my skimmer before I dont have clearance to take the top off. So the hight of the baffle In the skimmer section can only be 10" tall and thats why my fuge is limited in water height

cap032
01/04/2013, 07:50 PM
Go Skimmer/Return/Fuge. Then you can feed the fuge with a split overflow controlled by a ball valve and make the fuge as deep as you want.

jake koppen
01/04/2013, 09:49 PM
+1^ you'll be able to make it really deep. I put a coarse sponge at the top of the baffle between the fuge and return keeping any algea from making its way to the display and to keep pods till they are climbing through. Also gives pods another place to hang out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

LGB76
01/05/2013, 10:23 AM
Ive read that putting the return in the middle is an awful idea

Kawi9_cf
01/05/2013, 10:48 AM
What would be the downside to putting it in the middle? logically to me it seems like a better layout because you can vary the amount of flow you have going through the fuge.

potterjon
01/05/2013, 11:53 AM
I ran mine in the middle for a long time just for these reasons. I eventually just got rid of the fuge and put more live rock down there. It is basically just one chamber now off to the right that holds my return pump. That is where evaporation shows. It has allowed me to have much more water volume.

Kawi9_cf
01/06/2013, 06:41 AM
is that working pretty well for you? I have considered that