PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting advice GFI trip

hostage46
01/04/2013, 05:18 PM
Guys I've been running my Apex since April with no issues. I'm running AI lighting, a few power heads, main pump, skimmer, sump light and ATO.

Yesterday I got ambitious and decided to clean the sump, and after a few hours fired up the pumps and pow! The who thing goes dark. At first I thought it was a power blackout. After a bit of review I noticed the GFI had tripped.

I reset and the system rebooted, and in a few minutes tripped again. After the third trip I isolated it and plugged into a wall outlet.

I will not put my hands in the tank, and I do have a grounding plug in the system.

This all happened about 24 hrs ago and it's not sitting well with me. I'm looking for some advice troubleshooting this problem. It seems like the best approach would be to unplug everything and start adding load until it trips. I'll also test the GFI separately.

Am I going down the right path here?

Dan in Dallas...

aquamanic
01/04/2013, 05:27 PM
Yup, that's exactly what I would do. It's a process of elimination.

And remember, the GFI will 'see' anything from it, downstream to the end of the circuit. Now that may be your tank but it could also include other things like table lamps, etc.