PDA

View Full Version : 55G puffer setup?

fishymann
01/04/2013, 06:08 PM
So, after losing my tank due to Hurricane Sandy I am thinking about going a different route. I have a 55 gallon w/ about 20 gallons of sump (sump isnt 20 gallons, there is about 20 gallons of physical water in the sump).

I am thinking about getting a puffer, I know the feeding regiment needs to be strict due to their teeth and am planning to wait until May to get the puffer (I will be out of college for good so no worries about taking care of him).

Big question, what kind of puffers will do well in a 55 and what would be good tank mates? I've heard dwarf angels do okay with them but wanted to see what you guys thought. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, whats a good cleanup crew with puffers? Are they likely to eat snails and crabs?

fishymann
01/06/2013, 04:52 PM
hmm no responses. So I am thinking a dwarf Angel and maybe another fish? I don't see that a dwarf angel and a puffer would max out the tank? For the puffer I am thinking a Toby or a Bennett's Sharpnose puffer as I have read both are good for a 55gallon.

randomfishguy85
01/06/2013, 05:03 PM
I think a toby, angel combo would be good. you could probably add a couple more small fish. clowns, dottybacks, wrasses, damsels/chromis, maybe even small butterflies.

fishymann
01/06/2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks randomfishguy. I read around a bit seeing people having success mixing tobys with clowns, I think I'd go with a tomato since they are a little more aggressive but not like maroon. Now the big question, what would the best order be to add the fish? I feel like the puffer should be last so everyone else can setup their territories.