PDA

View Full Version : Are all magnets equally reef safe???

duganderson
01/04/2013, 10:35 PM
I bought some cheap $2 Home Depot magnets I'm planning to use for a project in my tank?

Are all magnets equally reef safe or are some safer than others?

Is it a good idea to cover all parts of the magnets exposed to water with aquarium safe silicone?

Thanks

Photobug
01/05/2013, 01:33 AM
No magnets are reef safe. The ones used in fish tanks are epoxy covered. You can get them from K&J magnets or marine depot.

duganderson
01/05/2013, 09:09 AM
Can you make any magnet safe by covering the water exposed parts of the magnet with aquarium safe silicone, super glue gel, etc.? OR is this too risky???

Saltydrip
01/05/2013, 09:19 AM
The ones used in the hobby are rubberized. A lot of refrigerator magnets are made the same way now. Put the magnet in question in a cup of tank strong salt water and if it changes color or rusts after about a week it's not safe. I use magnetic strips from a hobby store. If they are flexible and you can push on it with a fingernail and make a mark it should be safe but still subject it to the saltwater test to make sure it doesn't rust. Metal magnets are absolutely not safe. Even stainless rusts eventually.

In the past I would use the magnets from old pumps and power heads before I discovered the rubbery ones.

maR1o
01/05/2013, 09:36 AM
good to know, i was looking into a DIY project that involved magnets and this probably same me a lot of head aches.

mfinn
01/05/2013, 10:21 AM
No magnets are reef safe. The ones used in fish tanks are epoxy covered. You can get them from K&J magnets or marine depot.

Not true.
Ceramic magnets are reef safe.

And as far as epoxy coated magnets, I have found that the epoxy coating doesn't hold up in saltwater over a period of a couple years.

mfinn
01/05/2013, 11:13 AM
I have a couple home depot 1" x 2" x 1/2" ceramic magnets that have been in saltwater for 7-8 years, holding up a maxijet in my sump.
Powerhead magnets are ceramic magnets.

igadget56
01/05/2013, 06:10 PM
I don't think a little bit of rust will hurt. Here is an interisting thread. Did you ever drop a magnet in your tank and pick it off your sand bed? The magnet will be full of iron bits.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311723&highlight=rusty+nails

Aslmx
01/05/2013, 08:43 PM
Ive used ceramic magnets with no problems.