PDA

View Full Version : Ph monitor and Alkalinity dosing

speedo2wet
01/05/2013, 09:17 AM
I am currently running a 125 gallon reef system with sps corals. I have recently recalibrated my Ph monitor again as I do yearly. I also dose the 2 part solution of Alkalinity and Calcium along with the Mag as specified in the instructions. Over the past few months my Ph has been running around the 7.6 to 7.8 regularly and my Alkalinity is low.

Now heres my question: is it a good idea to utilize the alkalinity and Ph meter together. Basically set parameters on the Ph meter so when it reaches 7.8 it begins to dose Alkalinity until the Ph is 8.0 then shuts off.

Or should I monitor the daily usage of alkalinity and only dose what is used.

Wonder what everyone else does. Is this a good idea? I am really looking towards my first option and to utilize my reefkeeper. Any other ideas on the low Ph and alkalinity? My only though is from the rapid growth I get and the utilization of alkalinity.

disc1
01/05/2013, 10:19 AM
Dose alkalinity to the alkalinity level. Dosing alkalinity based on pH numbers is a good way to end up spiking the alkalinity sky high. If you want your pH to be higher then get the alkalinity up to the right value and start getting more fresh air to the tank to blow off dissolved CO2.

speedo2wet
01/05/2013, 11:43 AM
very good point.

speedo2wet
01/05/2013, 02:12 PM
You know the more I think about it the more it could be the room. I do have two dogs, a cat, fireplace and two people living in the house. I can't say that we open the doors on a regular basis. I'm thinking that I could run a line of RO tubing from outside the house through the attic and to the input side of the skimmer. I have an Aqua C EV-120, I could connect it to the 3/8 air intake valve. That should help boost up the Ph in the Aquarium and expel the CO2 gas.

bnumair
01/05/2013, 03:42 PM
i agree with David. alk should be dosed to what level u wanna keep and ph should be maintained my getting rid of co2.

sajihassan
01/06/2013, 01:12 AM
i made the same mistake by controlling ph by dosing alk and my alk sky rocketed to 15 dkh. All the corals turned brown. Stopped dosing and now recovering.

speedo2wet
01/06/2013, 11:16 AM
Agreed, I will not be doing that as a controller. I do have to say that trying to catch up with my Alkalinity is a battle. I must not be factoring in the growth rate. I dosed a buffer system for the Ph with little effects on the ALK to get it some what stable until I can get the Air intake line set.

Even if the Ph is 7.4-7.56 and all the corals are growing and colorful, should I be concerned?

disc1
01/06/2013, 03:24 PM
It is high doubtful that the pH is actually that low. At that point your sand and rocks would start to dissolve and that would buffer it back up. Maybe there's a measurement error.