PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Water Changes

E.intheC
01/05/2013, 07:27 PM
I'm seriously contemplating a daily, automatic, water change setup for my new tank. I know there are a few commercial setups like the Genesis or LiterMeter III but they run about $550+ to get this accomplished.

On the other hand, using simple dosing pumps without fail-safes encorporated seems to be too risky.

Does anyone have a system like this setup? What are you using?

scolley
01/05/2013, 07:48 PM
I setup an easy system that works like a charm. And it works with an ATO so the AWC system does not battle with the ATO over proper water level. BUT you have to buy a Tunze Osmolator AND have a controller. Or a few timers. Overall an inexpensive and effective solution IMO. You can read about it here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677003&highlight=water).

E.intheC
01/05/2013, 09:00 PM
That's a great idea. I don't have a Tunze Osmolator but I do have a JBJ ATO, and an Apex. That might work similarly.

scolley
01/05/2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks. There's many ways to "skin a cat", as it were. Mine us just one...

I don't know the JBJ works. But if it triggers a pump on a low water condition AND if you can splice into that pump power wire AND buy a duplicate pump, my scheme should work just as well for you. :)

dariusw69
01/06/2013, 09:57 PM
I recently set up a semi auto water change for my Nano. I now need to scale it up for my 120 gallon. I used an Apex controller with, 2 float switches and brackets (which also serve for my ATO), Neptune Breakout Box, wires from Radio Shack, Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump, door bell switch from hardware store.

Originally I had it set to replace 0.5 gallons per day at a prescribed time. But that seemed to risky to me so I changed it to only replace 0.5 gallons when I push the door bell. This works much better since I always look at the tank at least once a day and I can at least be in the house while this is taking place. I like using the controller because I can set an alarms to warn me if certain things happen like an overflow or conversely if the sump stays low.

dariusw69
01/06/2013, 09:58 PM
I recently set up a semi auto water change for my Nano. I now need to scale it up for my 120 gallon. I used an Apex controller with, 2 float switches and brackets (which also serve for my ATO), Neptune Breakout Box, wires from Radio Shack, Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump, door bell switch from hardware store.

Originally I had it set to replace 0.5 gallons per day at a prescribed time. But that seemed to risky to me so I changed it to only replace 0.5 gallons when I push the door bell. This works much better since I always look at the tank at least once a day and I can at least be in the house while this is taking place. I like using the controller because I can set an alarms to warn me if certain things happen like an overflow or conversely if the sump stays low.