PDA

View Full Version : PH and well water?

fishtk75
01/06/2013, 05:37 AM
Can I use a Neutralize filter ahead of my R/o DI unit? I see it will raise the PH with Calcite. Asking as the DI burns out fast with PH at 6.5.

Thefilterguys
01/07/2013, 09:21 AM
No it won't work the best I can recommend is making RO water, running an airstone in the RO water for 8 hours then pass it through the DI. Even this might not be enough as I suspect you are on the extreme side of CO2 with your low pH and may only be getting 60 gallons of zero tds water before seeing a tds reading regardless of your RO reading.

Jim

fishtk75
01/07/2013, 03:32 PM
No it won't work the best I can recommend is making RO water, running an airstone in the RO water for 8 hours then pass it through the DI. Even this might not be enough as I suspect you are on the extreme side of CO2 with your low pH and may only be getting 60 gallons of zero tds water before seeing a tds reading regardless of your RO reading.

Jim

Okay thanks, I done the CO2 with air stone and does not help. Then got a CO2 test kit then tested water CO2 is zero have no CO2 in the water out of the well and before RO water.

Thefilterguys
01/08/2013, 10:20 AM
What is the pH of your well water?

Jim

fishtk75
01/08/2013, 03:12 PM
What is the pH of your well water?

Jim

JIM,

6.7 PH at well

6.5 at RO

Thefilterguys
01/08/2013, 04:32 PM
Here is the CO2 depletion calculator you want to use, adding your own numbers, as it would appear your CO2 test results may be flawed. This should give you the depletion rate CO2 is causing your DI cartridge. My guess would be your depletion is going to be high.

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/CO2DIDepletion.php

Jim

fishtk75
01/09/2013, 04:36 AM
Here is the CO2 depletion calculator you want to use, adding your own numbers, as it would appear your CO2 test results may be flawed. This should give you the depletion rate CO2 is causing your DI cartridge. My guess would be your depletion is going to be high.

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/CO2DIDepletion.php

Jim

Here is numbers I use and tested today. Iam sorry but you did not have my TDS and ALK number so you had bad results as to the calculator.

Alkalinity 0.0- new Salifert test kit
6.0 PH -new Ph meter
68 deg TEMP - new PH meter
15 TDS- new TDS on RO unit meter

Put in the site to calculate Depletion by CO2:
0 %

It saying then last test are right I used as zero CO2. So I have no CO2 for both tests.

Thefilterguys
01/09/2013, 11:52 AM
OK using your numbers a full sized DI cartridge containing new resin should produce about 340 gallons of ultra pure zero tds water. (5100 divided by 15 =340) Your numbers indicate no way to improve on DI capacity in the absents of CO2.

The numbers in the calculator were not numbers I used, they are in the claculator for referance only.

Jim

fishtk75
01/09/2013, 03:46 PM
OK using your numbers a full sized DI cartridge containing new resin should produce about 340 gallons of ultra pure zero tds water. (5100 divided by 15 =340) Your numbers indicate no way to improve on DI capacity in the absents of CO2.

The numbers in the calculator were not numbers I used, they are in the claculator for referance only.

Jim

Thank you for your help.

richierich2000
04/02/2013, 10:28 AM
I am going through the same thing. I can use up a Di in under 100 gallons. But my tds from my Ro before the Di is 3-6

I started degassing my Ro water then gravity feed my Di so far looking good.

Ph of my Ro water before degassing is 5- 5.5 now it is 7.38 I am using a small skimmer pump to degass the water.

Does your Di change colors right? dark purple on top then starts turning tan on bottom when used?

My Di never changes

I have been told sulfur can do that too. Does your water smell like eggs?

richierich2000
04/02/2013, 10:30 AM
I used a Salifert test to check my alk of my Ro water too I don't think it is right. Going to find another test to check it.

Thefilterguys
04/02/2013, 11:57 AM
Rich What your seeing in normal for low PH high CO2 water.
While degassing RO water try running the airstone no longer then 8 hours for best results. Some resin is very poor at registering color change and the rapid change caused by CO2 can result in poor visual change. The resin should change from bottom up and the resin can change dark again at the bottom. Only the anion leg of the mixed bed resin is exhausting rapidly the cation is still reacting normal.

Are you trying to test RO water or DI?

Jim

richierich2000
04/02/2013, 12:32 PM
I have been testing the Ro so the Di don't get used up

Thefilterguys
04/02/2013, 08:40 PM
The pH of your RO water should read about 7.0 to 7.2 and the low ion levels may be causing your test kit to register incorrectly.

Jim