PDA

View Full Version : When to put LR from seeded tank in new tank

Vin7250
01/06/2013, 12:55 PM
My new 40 gal breeder w a lot of dead rock has been cycling for a Week now. Starting to see ammonia. How long should I wait befor taking rock out of the other established reef to seed the new tank??

bnumair
01/06/2013, 01:30 PM
u can place the established rock in anytime. it will help fasten the cycle. i usually place both dry and good live rock at same time to get it all started.

BAGGERZ13
01/06/2013, 01:33 PM
Yup you can add it at anytime will definitely help the cycling process move a little bit faster.

Vin7250
01/06/2013, 01:33 PM
I don't have much to put in. Only a few lbs of rubble so I don't want what little I have to die off. So you think that should still go in now??

MinuteJohn
01/06/2013, 01:48 PM
I would wait until the cycle is finished. It sounds like the point of you seeding it is to add beneficial organisms to otherwise dead rock. Why stress the organisms. If you are cycling with dead rock, I assume you mean dry rock. Did you add something to create the ammonia and start the cycle?

bnumair
01/06/2013, 02:27 PM
bacteria wont be stressed in fact when it detects ammonia it will go into over drive and will double its numbers in 15 hrs. thats the whole point of seeding dead rock with live. ur few pounds of rubble will act like a boost.
from microbewiki:

Nitrosomonas are rod-shaped chemolithoautothrophs with an aerobic metabolism. While they do not grow by photosynthesis, their unusual metabolic behavior involves burning ammonia with oxygen. Long, thin membranes inside the bacteria's cell use electrons from ammonia's nitrogen atom to produce energy. In order to complete cell division, Nitrosomonas must consume vast amounts of ammonia, making the division process last for several days. The cells grow either in pairs or short chains. In nitrification Nitrosomonas plays the role of oxidizing ammonia to nitrite, which is then converted to nitrate by other bacteria.

Vin7250
01/06/2013, 04:28 PM
Just tested my water. 3.0 ammonia. 0 nitrite 10 nitrate. Sounds very high for ammonia. Should I do a water change and put the rock in or just let it ride for now without the wc??

Vin7250
01/06/2013, 06:06 PM
Any ideas on WC or not during cycle.

MinuteJohn
01/06/2013, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't do a water change until after the cycle is complete.

I wasn't referring to the bacteria from the seed rock dying off, I meant pods, microstars, coraline algae and such.

MinuteJohn
01/06/2013, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't do a water change until after the cycle is complete.

I wasn't referring to the bacteria from the seed rock dying off, I meant pods, microstars, coraline algae and such.