as of friday
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5-5
ph 8.2
dkh @ 11
phosphate <1.0

here is my question
today i changed my GFO with the normal phosban i have been using for the past 5 or so months. i admit i probably added a lil to much phosban but the instruction basically say you are safe adding up to 5X the amount but may see a dkh lowering. i maybe have used 2X the amount. used all 150 g for a 90 gallon tank.

this evening i checked my water.
everything but ph and dkh are normal. my ph just tested 8.0 - 8.1
and my dkh is UP to 12.6.
i understand that this ph is still in good range and the dkh isnt dangerously high, but could the change in GFO have caused this?
I have a lidless tank and have just cracked the window next to the tank to get some good fresh air in..
Also another factor?
I use the matineland reef capable led light, i noticed that since i bought the 36 inch with brackets, not all the light is coving my live rock, and you can tell by the color of the rock closest to the sides of the tank. On friday i replaced the led with a longer system that goes completely side to side of the tank directly ove the rock. ( i will be using the marineland also when i get a time for it so in a few days i will be using both led lights)
Now the new light has 46 10000k 1 watt leds. and 8 Actinic 460nm LEDs
giving off 334 lumens. this is a stronger light than the marineland.
Could this maybe have caused the change?
my lighting times are DT on at 12 noon, nightlight at 8 pm off at 10 pm
and refugium light ( also LED ) on at 9 pm off at 11 am

thank you for any help
im just a lil confused as to what i did wrong

tattoooedlex
01/06/2013, 10:07 PM
also
i do water changes of 15% every two-three weeks using ro water. waiting this week for my di attachment to come in before i do next water change