PDA

View Full Version : 150g Breeding Setup (Built-in)

Tmoriarty
01/07/2013, 12:29 AM
So my wife came up with the fantastic idea that I should use the nook in the Office/Fish room to put my breeding pairs of clowns, as well as have some sort of grow out and fry tank setup. From her idea we grew plans to fully utilize the space. Here is the start of transforming a 41"x24"x10' section of our house into the perfect spot to keep clownfish. I have been busy building other things, so I left this build up to the Smallest of my tiny tikes. Tristan will be the guide for this build.

Everything started with the spot, here is what we have to work with.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3818_zpsb6564eb8.jpg

He busted out that carpet and the base boards with ease.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3820_zps1037e3a4.jpg

He always has to check out his work.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3826_zpsd03e381d.jpg

I do not think he liked the placement of this board, he wanted to change it a little.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3828_zps4282dda0.jpg

Proud little man, tore through most of the framework in just a day.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3839_zps6675f0b4.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3840_zps928722fc.jpg

Here is most of the base work complete, hard working little man kept at it strong.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/IMG_3849_zps620ef2ed.jpg

The plan from here is to use another 40 Breeder as the sump tank, and add three 10g (or five 5g) tanks to the top. There will be a set of cupboards above the 5g tanks for misc. storage. Everything will be trimmed in white to match the walls and make the system a built in that could have the tanks removed and the area could always be repurposed for shelving/etc. One of the 40 Breeders will be partioned into 3 sections (using black Acrylic) that will house the spawning parents. That gives each pair approx. 13g's of space.

I like the idea of a flow through system for the fry so I am making plans to incorporate the fry tank into the system (with the ability to pull it offline of course).

I am happy with what we have going so far and can't be any more excited that I have the full support from the wife on this build (guess she really wants those babies off the kitchen counters :) )

woodnaquanut
01/07/2013, 10:30 AM
Looks great.

Very cute with your boy 'working'. I always work best if I have my pacifier! :)

r2odie
01/07/2013, 10:42 AM
Looking good! Awesome how you are utilizing the space so well! Can't wait to see it trimmed out and running.

Lou Young
01/07/2013, 02:42 PM
Following along. Great start. I am getting some ideas for my own build. Keep the pictures coming. What kind of clownfish do you have?

Tmoriarty
01/07/2013, 03:08 PM
I currently have a mixed pair (a. percula female x a. ocellaris male) With the female being a WC onyx and the male being a WC darwin B/W. Babies will be very similar to Sanjays Black Photons.

For the breeding setup I want to get a pair of picassos, a pair of black ice, and a pair of possibly whyoming whites. I will leave the current pair I have spawning in my reef tank since I enjoy having a pair in the tank.

Lou Young
01/08/2013, 11:10 AM
Nice. That would be some nice pairs to have to get a lot of different types of clowns.I would love to see pics of the babies you have now.

Tmoriarty
01/08/2013, 07:49 PM
Black Photon Babies, 30DPH

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEpZeSLfnXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lou Young
01/08/2013, 10:03 PM
Very cool video dude!! And those baby clowns are really awesome looking. Congratulations!!

zoolover
01/09/2013, 08:32 AM
If only I could get my daughter to work like that, my system would've been done so much faster! Good luck with your build, I'll have to post pictures of mine someday to get some feedback on it.

Tmoriarty
01/09/2013, 11:53 AM
Very cool video dude!! And those baby clowns are really awesome looking. Congratulations!!

I'll have to make a new video soon, there is now 20 juveniles in that anemone. When I approach the tank they all come out to visit me hopping food will fall from the heavens. Then when I move my hand to fast they all retreat right back into the anemone.

Just goes to show people that associating with an anemone is not a learned behavior it is a genetically encoded response. Clownfish will seek a host whether they are captive bred or wild caught (something that seems to be of some confusion on occasion).

Lou Young
01/14/2013, 06:30 AM
Yes please make a new video. I would like to see them in the anemone. I have been reading on another forum of breeders keeping the babies in dark colored round tubs. Did you ever try that?

Tmoriarty
01/14/2013, 10:01 AM
BRT's or black round tubs are another method, the reason is for the first few days any side lighting is detrimental to the health of the fry, they just are not designed to take side lighting.

I have not tried using them yet (although I have used a dark bucket) but would not be opposed to it, they are cheap and effective. I will make a new video soon just haven't decided if I want to make it while they are in the 20g or when I move them to the 55g (which is set to be their home soon either way).

Lou Young
01/14/2013, 10:32 AM
Can't wait for your video!! It seems like the round tubs would take up a lot more space than the square tanks you are using so your way seems like you will be able to have more tanks which is good. Can I ask where you found your clownfish parents? I want to try growing baby clowns too but can only find younger clownfish ones. Thank you.

Tmoriarty
01/14/2013, 01:28 PM
I bought both of the clowns I have as juveniles. The female onyx true perc was purchased as a juvenile pair (both wild caught, soloman island) in June2011, I lost the male around June2012 and replaced him with a Wild caught Darwin Black and white, he was also a juvenile (approx. 6-9 months based on size). They began spawning a few months later and have not stopped since. Based on the size of the female when I purchased her and when she spawed I would estimate her age at time of first spawn to be around 2 years.

You can purchase spawning pairs sometimes either locally or from breeders (check marinebreeder). I just purchased a B/W x snowflake (with the b/w being the female) pair that will most likely spawn within th next month or two. They are of age and came from a local breeder. There was two pairs of the same fish, one of which began spawning 1 month ago (he sold me the other pair).

Hopefully they began spawning in the next couple months so I can start raising snowflake babies as well. If you get a spawn that is of age and have access to eggs (either from another pair of yours, or a friend) you can sort of trick your fish into spawning sometimes by introducing them to care for eggs from another set of fish. It's something that is done by some breeders to get new males to pair up with known spawning females (which is always a possibility with my current spawning female).

I want to get the clowns into the new tank, the bluer lights will make for much better video (especially since the nems are so fantastic looking). Here is a picture of one of the anemone in the 55g (it is a clone of the one in the 20g with the clowns currently, just not under 5k lighting). Best part is I picked up 5 of these anemone for under $100. Shows that you can purchase beautiful anemone pretty cheap if you get a lucky deal locally. This picture was taken under Blue+ bulbs, but the color was White balanced and is very accurate.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/tmoriarty77/55g%20Anemone%20Tank/IMG_3851.jpg

Lou Young
01/14/2013, 03:51 PM
Awesome information. Thank you very much for sharing. I don't think I have the patience to buy babies and wait 2 years for them to have babies. Hehe I will check out that site to see if they have any parent clowns on there for sale. Please send me a PM if you ever hear of anyone selling.
Your anemone looks awesome and that is a great deal for 5 of them. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the babies in the new tank with the anemones :)

Tmoriarty
01/14/2013, 09:55 PM
I moved 7 juveniles to the 55g before I went to class tonight, they have settled in well. I released them directly above one of the sea anemones to keep them in the same place. I do not think at their current size they will do much adventuring out side of the anemone, so that should keep them where I can observe them for some time. I took some pictures, but no videos until tommorow.

Tmoriarty
01/15/2013, 10:16 PM
Quick video I made tonight of the clowns, now 47 DPH and moved the the 55g, their final home until they move out of my house.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/caY4vt5KUc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oceancube1
01/16/2013, 10:25 PM
so cool!!!

Lou Young
01/16/2013, 11:16 PM
Awesome video. I can't believe the clowns are in the anemone so quickly. The one on the left has it all to himself and he looks so dark. Thanks again for sharing.

rgreene
01/27/2013, 12:57 AM
nice video

ClownfishSushi
01/27/2013, 05:36 AM
Do the juveniles leave the anemone to eat from the surface? Although this does look super natural I'm picturing it being a huge disadvantage when it comes to feeding otohime or any food that tends to float on the surface.

edandsandy
01/28/2013, 03:01 PM
AWWW! the babies are so beautiful...
I just love all these videos with the background music!

Tmoriarty
01/29/2013, 10:56 AM
Do the juveniles leave the anemone to eat from the surface? Although this does look super natural I'm picturing it being a huge disadvantage when it comes to feeding otohime or any food that tends to float on the surface.

I pour the oto near the power head and it disperses it through the system pretty quickly. Because of the light weight of the food it stays in suspension for a long time. I more a less feed it like a normal fish tank at this point. The power head keeps surface tension broke, the overflow system does not skim the surface terribly well at this point so I do not lose food through the overflow. If that was an issue I could always just shut off the return pump during feeding. The main reason for having the 55g setup with anemone in addition to my 150g setup is to give the clownfish a chance to associate with BTA's before they go out to anyone who wants to purchase them.

BTA's are the most commonly kept anemones, and since it is not a natural host to A. Percula or A. Ocellaris, I figure getting them use to this sea anemone at a young age will help any future owners with the association process later down the road.

Most people have decent success getting their clowns to associate with BTA's but many others have horrible success, or in my case almost no success at all (after waiting over a year, I bought magnificas).

Tmoriarty
01/29/2013, 10:58 AM
AWWW! the babies are so beautiful...
I just love all these videos with the background music!

Thank you very much :). I still need to work on my video editing skills a bit but hopefully they turned out decent enough. I do indeed appreciate the compliments.

Lou Young
01/30/2013, 12:07 AM
Hi Tyler- any progression pictures on the build? Would love to see how it's coming along. Thanks Lou :)

Calepy86
02/03/2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Tyler- any progression pictures on the build? Would love to see how it's coming along. Thanks Lou :)

+1 interested in the progress of the build

Tmoriarty
02/08/2013, 12:43 PM
I have been a total slacker, there has been some progression but nothing to major (a lot of other things going on with the breeding pairs keeping me busy).

I will hopefully get some new pictures up soon though :)

As for the babies I currently have living in the 55g, they are doing fantastic, many have gotten the start of their third stipes and some of them have some interesting misbar patterns.

I can't wait a few more months to really see their colors come in.

Calepy86
02/09/2013, 11:47 AM
Sweet good luck with the babies. I cant wait to get settled again and start trying to breed myself.

SantaMonica
02/09/2013, 05:44 PM
The little helper can start helping with breeding too :)

Lou Young
02/14/2013, 06:28 AM
Any new videos of the babies? How are they looking?

Reeftime99
02/16/2013, 09:21 AM
Post some pics of setup now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sassAwrasse
02/17/2013, 08:49 PM
Post some pics of setup now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1. Please. lol. interested to see it.

bonartpetit
02/22/2013, 08:47 PM
Great set up and adorable clowns! What are your plans for them after? With your future set up, are you planning on raising them to be sold? Have you ever bred any other saltwater fish?

Lou Young
03/16/2013, 09:35 AM
Hey Tyler- How is the set up and how are the babies doing?