PDA

View Full Version : Is new system ready for fish and corrals?

budster.stig1
01/07/2013, 09:25 AM
Hello Reefsters:

My new 210g in-wall is up and running, has been cycling for almost 5 weeks now, cycle seems complete, however, I have one question before stocking the system. The Ph levels are stable at 7.8 now and have been since I started the cycle, The natural ph after I mix my RODI is the same 7.8. My current salinity is 1.022 and I have not dosed any supplements yet. I'm not really close to the 8.2 or 8.3 ph I need to maintain for livestock, should I raise my salinity to 1.025 by topping off with mix, to see if the ph will raise before I stock my tank, or should I treat with Kalk or 2 part before I start adding life?

If you would like to follow this build, you can find me at:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137506

Thanks.....................................Budster:bum:

markaren
01/07/2013, 09:54 AM
I would raise the salinity to 1.026 first. I waited 8 months before any coral. My success has been 100% , I think waiting helped with that. I used the other months to learn haw to take care of water. using the topping off mix is a great way to increase salinity. A nice good water change can help too.

Use a refractometer and calibrate it before every reading session. let the water sit on the mirror for 30 seconds so the prism and water become the same temp. This will assure a truer reading. I find that my refractometer is off and requires an adjustment every time i pull it out.

srfnsport
01/07/2013, 10:43 AM
What are the benefits to letting the water cycle for so long before adding any livestock? I know this addresses the 'new tank syndrome' and I'm trying to explain it to a friend that wants to start a new tank and doest understand when I say he should wait months before adding any inverts.

bertoni
01/07/2013, 10:56 PM
I agree with raising the SG to 1.0264 or so, and verifying the SG with a device calibrated with a saltwater standard. That pH level is fairly normal for a house with the windows closed, though. It's fine as is, and I wouldn't worry. There have been a number Tanks of the Month with the pH in that range.

bertoni
01/07/2013, 10:57 PM
I don't think it's necessary to wait for months before adding easy-to-keep animals.

fjpod
01/08/2013, 02:16 AM
I don't think it's necessary to wait for months before adding easy-to-keep animals.
I agree. The sooner you get some REAL livestock in the tank, the sooner your REAL cycle will complete.

cubalz
01/08/2013, 12:52 PM
In reality, the cycle is never complete. It ebbs and flows with the changes in bio load. A pH of 7.8 is by no means optimal but with proper acclimation to the new specimens to the tank, you should have minimal issues.

Subw00er
01/08/2013, 01:16 PM
You're getting some weird info in here.

Raise your salt to 1.025 by adding premixed saltwater and dont worry about ph or dosing. My ph has been 7.8 since I started and I grow all sorts of coral. Start with easy softies like xenia or mushrooms and you'll be fine.

budster.stig1
01/11/2013, 01:39 PM
I agree with raising the SG to 1.0264 or so, and verifying the SG with a device calibrated with a saltwater standard. That pH level is fairly normal for a house with the windows closed, though. It's fine as is, and I wouldn't worry. There have been a number Tanks of the Month with the pH in that range.

Thanks for the suggestions, I changed out 50g of water with 50g mixed to 1.034 and this raised my saliinty to 1.0246, I will now continue with toping off with mixed water until my salinity reaches 1.026. It's good to know that the 8.2 to 8.3 Ph levels are targets and levels a little less are OK. MY lighting system arrived yesterday and I installed it this morning so I guess I'm ready for some Fish...........I will start with a few easy care fish and a small clean-up crew and grow from there. Thanks everyone for you in-put.

Budster:bum:

bertoni
01/11/2013, 08:35 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!

rldcpa
01/12/2013, 06:59 AM
You have a 210 gallon so it will be more forgiving. My PH was low like yours but now is 8-8.6 each day. I bought 2 clowns and 3 chromis and all survived. I only got a few snails and a fighting conch.

Then I got a bit of a brown algae bloom - not terrible but was unsightly. I bought a naso tang and between the tang and the fighting conch they have practically eaten all the brown algae. I highly suggest both (any tang will work). I got these 2 additions 2 weeks after the the clowns and chromis were added once I knew the tank water parameters were still good.

I added corals at this point too but just a few.

You just want to go slow until you are sure your tank has no issues and water parameters are stable. I think "stable" is the key.

I bought a doser as soon as I got the corals and have been dosing small quantities to keep alkalinty at 8+, calcium above 425 and magnesium above 1300.

budster.stig1
01/12/2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info.. Looks like my system is remarkably like yours, right down to the same skimmer. I too have a 72x30x25" DT with "Starphire" front glass, mine is in wall mounted. I support this with (2) stand alone 40g sumps and a 70g external Refugium. I too have Maxspect Razors, however I use just two 160w X 16K, time will tell if that light is adequate for what-ever Corals I decide to keep. My fish plan, so far any way, is about what you suggest, I will start with Chromis and Clowns and a few cleaners. I will add Tangs a little latter, I really like them and want to have several in the tank but realize that they all have to go in at the same time causing a bit of a delelma, as it is better to add fish slowly, a few at a time as you stated, but can't do that if you want 4 or 5 Tangs not to mention choosing the type of Tangs that can co-exist, needs lot's of planning. I don't have much of a plan beyond that, I'm looking forward to figuring all that out, I intend to take it slow and easy!....................Budster:bum:

tmz
01/12/2013, 11:08 AM
The higher sg is a big plus,imo,especially for invertebraes including corals.
It can take some time for an aquarium to stabilize. Personally, 30 days ammonia free is the time I use before adding hardy livestock; you can go faster but a secondary ammonia spike is possible. I'd use the extra time to quarantine new fish.
More difficult corals ,anemones ,sponges and other animals that require a lot of stability in the water are best added after the tank is running nicely for 5 or 6 months,imo.

budster.stig1
01/12/2013, 11:50 AM
The higher sg is a big plus,imo,especially for invertebraes including corals.
It can take some time for an aquarium to stabilize. Personally, 30 days ammonia free is the time I use before adding hardy livestock; you can go faster but a secondary ammonia spike is possible. I'd use the extra time to quarantine new fish.
More difficult corals ,anemones ,sponges and other animals that require a lot of stability in the water are best added after the tank is running nicely for 5 or 6 months,imo.

Thanks Tom:

Your opinions just re-inforce what my thinking has been, Slow and Easy! My tank has been in cycle for about 6 weeks, the last 4 have been amonia free, so I guess it's time to proceed. mM wife says she's tired of looking at Rock just lay there, boring she says! The few hitch-hikers I got with the Live Rock just don't cut it, as far as action is concerned! Time for a few Fish!

Budster:bum:

disc1
01/12/2013, 01:14 PM
I would never use any aquarium as a corral. Horses and glass so rarely go well together.

tmz
01/12/2013, 02:21 PM
I would never use any aquarium as a corral. Horses and glass so rarely go well together.

:wavehand:

If you modify the horses and use aynthetic corals it works:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/fishandfootball58/tanks%202012/SDC10212-Copy.jpg

I call this tank ,the puddle corral:http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/fishandfootball58/tanks%202012/SDC10238.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/fishandfootball58/tanks%202012/SDC10241-1.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/fishandfootball58/tanks%202012/SDC10238.jpg:)

disc1
01/12/2013, 02:48 PM
:lol2: never even thought of the seahorses.

Awesome tank Tom. I can keep animals alive, but I've always wished I could make something so aesthetically pleasing.

tmz
01/13/2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks David.
Seahorses are my new passion. I kept a pair raised from fry for over 4 years. Now I'm into it a bit more. If you look closely you'll notice a fishbowl clamped inside the tank. It's full of fry.