PDA

View Full Version : Which results?

sasharotty
01/07/2013, 08:19 PM
I have both the Salifert and Red Sea foundation test kits. Testing ALK i get 2 different results from the kits. The Red Sea gives me a 10 dkh and the Salifert gives a result of 8dkh. Both were just purchased and i did the test twice each with the same results. Im just starting to fill up on sps and want to get this right. Why is there such a discrepacy in results and which should i use??

disc1
01/08/2013, 09:24 AM
You'll need some solution with a known alkalinity level to check the tests against to see which one you're doing right with.

Palting
01/08/2013, 10:49 AM
I know Salifert sends their kits with a reference solution. Mine has always come with a reference solution for 7 dKH. Check both your kits to that.

thegrun
01/08/2013, 01:31 PM
I've run comparisons between the Salifert and Red Sea Pro test kits (two different kits of each brand) and found their calcium and alkalinity results were very close. The magnesium for the Red Sea did run between 50 and 100 ppm higher on the magnesium results however. I wonder if one of the test kits has a bad batch of chemicals. As posted above a calibration fluid test would be the best way to determine which is correct. If you do run one and one of the kits is off by 2 dkh I would return it, both companies have excellent customer service.