PDA

View Full Version : Bongo shrimp in nano?

scubakid3
01/08/2013, 05:25 PM
There are some Bongo Shrimp at my LFS and I was told they eat micro brittle stars. My 8 gallon nano is currently being overrun by them. Should I purchase one of these shrimps for my tank? I heard they were opportunistic feeders so when they run out of brittle stars, should I start target feeding them mysis? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Bongo Shrimp
01/08/2013, 06:35 PM
Bongo Shrimp SOLELY feed on micro brittle stars and asterina stars. They are not opportunistic upon any other food source and without micro brittle stars or asterinas they will absolutely starve. You should not purchase one unless you plan to and are able to keep supplying it with the proper amount of asterina stars or micro brittle stars once it finishes those in your tank. One Bongo Shrimp usually eats 20-40 asterina stars per week. Also, unlike harlequin shrimp, Bongo Shrimp will not accept larger bat stars and serpent stars will likely eat the shrimp themselves.

Aside from this, micro brittle stars are a very good inhabitant to have in tank. They are harmless and help clean up leftover food. You really can't have too many of them and since they are such a beneficial inhabitant you might want to consider keeping them or even selling them or giving them to a fellow reefer.

Hope this helps.

scubakid3
01/08/2013, 09:27 PM
Thank you, I think I will keep them then.