PDA

View Full Version : Does this look normal?!?! (RBTA) *PIC*

skng2011
01/09/2013, 09:20 AM
So I traded a fish for a RBTA . . .I placed it in my tank on Friday(4 days ago) and it quickly found a spot and buried its foot in the rock, this is a rock towards the top of my tank about 15" from the lights(T5,10,000K).

As soon as it found the spot to be in, my Large tomato clown went straight for it like a magnet and has not left in the last 4 days only to feed and do a little casual swimming.

My question is by my clown going to it right away affecting it from becoming settling in and becoming full with bulbs instead of the way it looks now?? By the picture can someone tell me if this looks normal and how long it usually takes for an anemone to settle in and blossom??

thanks in advance!!
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u483/skng2011/an_zps4d09dccd.jpg

Silfer
01/09/2013, 10:12 AM
Most BTAs don't actually bubble anyway. The majority of them have long straight tentacles like yours. The clown won't affect how it is.

skng2011
01/09/2013, 10:23 AM
Interesting, I did not know that about BTA's . . This morning they were not as long, almost looked a little shriveled up and more of the base was showing but the Clown was still swimming in it . . .Does that sound normal?

rssjsb
01/09/2013, 10:29 AM
Silfer is correct - bubbling is not a sign of health and lack of bubbles isn't a sign that anything is wrong. No one really knows what causes it.

Clowns can be rough on an anemone. If the anemone is settled in place and not moving, you're probably fine. If it starts deflating and looking bad, you can remove the clown or put a strawberry basket (or something similar) over the anemone so that the clown can't get to it.

skng2011
01/09/2013, 10:33 AM
Silfer is correct - bubbling is not a sign of health and lack of bubbles isn't a sign that anything is wrong. No one really knows what causes it.

Clowns can be rough on an anemone. If the anemone is settled in place and not moving, you're probably fine. If it starts deflating and looking bad, you can remove the clown or put a strawberry basket (or something similar) over the anemone so that the clown can't get to it.

Now that's a good idea!!!, didn't even think of that . . . .Wasn't sure if it was okay that the clown went into it right away!!! It did look a little deflated this morning, It also looks like it stung the clown a few times(little pale white spots),is that normal??

I think I will cover it for a bout a week or so,let it relax and get used to everything and then let the clown get back into it . . . .

rssjsb
01/09/2013, 11:05 AM
If the white spots look like little faded areas (as opposed to grains of salt), they are likely a normal part of the clown acclimating to the anemone.

skng2011
01/09/2013, 11:25 AM
Definitely little white faded areas and not salt like(Ich) <----been through that in the past!!!

I noticed after the Clown was swimming all up in the Anemone and figured it was just part of the process of the two acclimating to each other . .

skng2011
01/09/2013, 11:26 AM
Definitely little white faded areas and not salt like(Ich) <----been through that in the past!!!

I noticed after the Clown was swimming all up in the Anemone and figured it was just part of the process of the two acclimating to each other . .

skng2011
01/10/2013, 01:52 PM
Here is a follow up after doing a water change last night . . . . I just can't think this is normal . . .Please let me know!?!?!
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u483/skng2011/3-1_zpsfb859390.jpghttp://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u483/skng2011/2-1_zps52348a58.jpeghttp://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u483/skng2011/1-1_zps9b2055e2.jpeg

MarinaP
01/10/2013, 02:28 PM
Not the greatest response to the waterchange, but it should re-inflate. That is if your puffer does not eat it first. Puffers can and will eat anemones.

Dukester
01/10/2013, 02:31 PM
looks like it could possibly be pulling itself into 2 peices, maybe the water change triggered it, either way i'd leave it be unless it starts to fall apart.

Mr.Saltz
01/10/2013, 02:34 PM
Feedings will help, unless your nem won't accept it.

celamb89
01/10/2013, 02:39 PM
I wouldnt feed it... wait for it to recover I would wait at least one week to start feeding

seamonkey84
01/10/2013, 02:46 PM
Bta usually close up at night so the deflated look in the morning is normal, it's also normal for them to deflate from time to time (or even daily) when they are extreating waste. I've had two bta in my tank since last June, and they close every night, take an hour or so to open in the morning, and then deflate about 9-10 hours after lights on (im using ledtrics full spectrum) to "poop". That has gone on everyday and they are looking and acting very healthy.

skng2011
01/10/2013, 03:01 PM
Interesting . . . So far my Puffer shows no interest and the Clown pretty much will not let any others come by it...So hopefully that stays that way!!

tomorrow will be one week that it is in my tank, I hope it is not splitting as I just put it in....The way it looks in these pictures was how it looked last night and this morning...We will see what it looks like when I get home?!?! I haven't tried feeding as the guy that gave it to me said there was no need to worry about as it will grab food when it needs it!?

I just wasn't sure if this was the look of a dieing Anem , a sick Anem or just a normal Anem . . . .How will I know the difference??

seamonkey84
01/10/2013, 09:22 PM
I feed mine usually 1-2x a week with mysis using a turkey baster