PDA

View Full Version : why 3 ammonia bottles

FaronREO
01/09/2013, 02:05 PM
my test kit that i found long time ago comes with 1 2 3 labeled do i mix all three or how many drops

Cymonous
01/09/2013, 02:09 PM
What make of a test kit is this? If it is at least a couple years old, it may be expired and not accurate.

postshawn
01/09/2013, 04:01 PM
What brand is it and how old is it? You should be able to go to the website for the company and see if they have the instructions for that kit. Usually if there is more then one bottle of drops then get a sample of the water, add drops and then either wait, shake, add more water or whatever and then add more drops according to instructions. I don't think it's just add drops together. If it is it's adding drops and then adding another drop until something happens. The best way to find all this out is with the kit's instructions. If you really are unsure about the kit then get a new one. Wrong water testing can really ruin your whole setup.

disc1
01/09/2013, 05:04 PM
You really want us to guess which brand of kit you have. Instructions are available online for most all brands of test kits. We have a number available in the chemistry forum. That is IF you can tell us what brand of kit.

SteviesReef
01/09/2013, 05:32 PM
You really want us to guess which brand of kit you have. Instructions are available online for most all brands of test kits. We have a number available in the chemistry forum. That is IF you can tell us what brand of kit.
Lighten up a bit. Newbies come here for help. Your sarcastic comment about guessing isn't helpful.

FaronREO
01/09/2013, 07:08 PM
Sorry Ididnt post the brand makes sense. Ya ill check their site out. I'm on day 8 and all ready wishing I went bigger. I mixed all 3 of the ammonia drops together and finnaly got a color.

FaronREO
01/09/2013, 07:36 PM
test is outdated! dam cant save any money and now craigslist people are finnaly responding to my emails. about trying to get their tank but i already spent all my money on this little one.
my oscars are staring at me knowing im cheating on them. maybe i should move their tank so they can watch tank too.

FTDelta
01/09/2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure how Marine test for Ammonia works but API freshwater test for ammonia comes in 2 bottles. That being said, you add a # drops in bottle 1 and then add # drops from bottle 2 into test tube and shake with cap on. Then you let it sit for 5 mins. to get a reading. I am assuming it's the same deal with whatever test kit you have.

You say it was from a long time ago - the best thing for you to do is toss it and get a new ammonia test kit. Old test kits tend to lose their accuracies over time.