PDA

View Full Version : What the heck- Micro bubble blasts from return

meegwell
01/09/2013, 05:00 PM
So Im realizing after my cycle and using filter socks that the faint snowstorm I see in my tank all the time is not debris but tiny micro bubbles. Now that I have my first fish in, Im watching for much longer periods and notice every few minutes a blast of microbubbles spits out of my return. What would cause this? The return pump is fully submerged on auto topoff no question there. I dont see bubble activity in the return chamber. There is a bubble trap between the skimmer/overflow drain section and the center return. The only thing in the return section is the pump (mag 7) and some flex hose under it to cut down on the vibration.

What would cause a regular blast of microbubbles to shoot out of my locline return?

Is this cosmetic or could it hurt my new fish?

disc1
01/09/2013, 05:02 PM
I had the same thing and it was the siphon break hole in the top of the return. It would suck in a little bit of air every couple of minutes and shoot out bubbles. Once I made it so that the hole was just slightly below the water line it stopped.

meegwell
01/09/2013, 05:23 PM
my return is a solid 2 in. under...i just moved the pump around and got a tank full...im thinking the flexi tube section coming off the pump going to hard plumbing might need tightening at the stem (forget what its called) it plugs into...?

meegwell
01/09/2013, 06:00 PM
ok so I tightened up the flexi hose connection to the hard plumbing - no luck...still shooting out patches of micro bubbles. when I look at the intake for a few minutes I see a normal sized little bubbles get suckedd in there every few seconds...could this be the source? what would cause bubbles getting through my 3 baffle (short tall short, 3/4 inche between, 1 inch under the middle baffle) bubble trap? Better yet, if this is the cause, what might be a fix?

joe_himself
01/09/2013, 06:05 PM
I almost wonder if the impeller of the pump is cavitating a little bit and causing a small micro bubble output

meegwell
01/09/2013, 06:34 PM
the pump has always been loud...even suspended in the water I can hear it in the next room no problem. Its a mechanical noise more than a hum.

meegwell
01/09/2013, 07:14 PM
is this constant lite snow dusting of micros ok for the fish until I run this down?

CoryD
01/09/2013, 07:30 PM
how far away from the suface of the water is your pump intake? it could be sucking air if the water isn't deep enough. i had this problem with one of my powerheads. it caused a vortex or "tornado" effect on the surface occasionaly pulling air into the pump.

meegwell
01/09/2013, 08:35 PM
4 in or so definitely not that but I did experience that prior to having the autotopoff set.

Its weird, its a consistent spit of micro bubbles.

meegwell
01/09/2013, 08:36 PM
4 in or so definitely not that but I did experience that prior to having the autotopoff set.

Its weird, its a consistent spit of micro bubbles.

meegwell
01/09/2013, 10:06 PM
I almost wonder if the impeller of the pump is cavitating a little bit and causing a small micro bubble output

I'd love to understand a little more about this if there is any info...what are the symptoms, what physically is happening?

meegwell
01/10/2013, 09:00 AM
It looks like my next step is to drop $200 on a new return pump....has anyone else experienced blasts of micro bubbles coming out of their return (that are not due to an obvious suction of air from the sump). ?

MrClam
01/10/2013, 10:19 AM
I would check the connections on your return piping. Its possible that a small leak would allow air to be sucked in that would build up to a larger bubble.

Planet Q
01/10/2013, 10:39 AM
I too had micro bubbles but the were showing up sporadicly in my DT I was wondering where they came from and how to get rid of them . Then 1 day I was watching my tank and there it was my blue tang was farting bloop bloop bloop leaving little trails

gone fishin
01/10/2013, 10:44 AM
I would also be inclined to think a loose connection above the water line pulling in a little air. Maybe if you turn the pump off and see if you can find a little water dripping anywhere.

meegwell
01/10/2013, 10:51 AM
I would check the connections on your return piping. Its possible that a small leak would allow air to be sucked in that would build up to a larger bubble.

There areseveral pvc connections...flexi to hard, thread to slip, then a 45...and union, a 90, and then the bulkhead. I think I might apply a coat of pvc cement to each joint...on the outside of the joint...as a last ditch effort before pump replacement. I already tightened up the flexi on the barb adapter and double checked the tightness at the union. Only things left are the cemented pvc joints and the bulkhead....outside of it being a pump issue.

AT_Hiker
01/10/2013, 11:06 AM
I've also had the burst of micro bubbles from my return. I do have a syphon break hole just below the surface on my return line. I'll have to see if plugging that hole resolves the issue. That can't be a permanent solution since I need the syphon break, but at least I'll know the cause.

meegwell
01/10/2013, 12:12 PM
I've also had the burst of micro bubbles from my return. I do have a syphon break hole just below the surface on my return line. I'll have to see if plugging that hole resolves the issue. That can't be a permanent solution since I need the syphon break, but at least I'll know the cause.

I would imagine you could see the air get sucked in to the siphon break if you watch it closely? Considering the earlier poster that may be your issue. I dont have the break hole and my output nozzle is well under water....but measured appropriately so my sump vacancy can handle the drawdown of course. Im at a loss at this point because it is a difficult thing to trouble shoot.

meegwell
02/02/2013, 04:14 PM
Ok brand new eheim 1262 pump....nice and quiet...more flow that I needed...but the freaking micro bubble blasts are still coming out!! Errrrrrrr. My tank is always hazy with micro bubble.

Upon very close inspection, it seems my sump may be producing...correction IS producing some bubbles as the skimmer section dumps into the center pump section. Occassionally, a bubble gets sucked into the pump. Is this is??? The bubbles are caused from the drop over the baffle (ironically a bubble trap). If i raise my water level to stop this bubble production i am thinkin maybe problem solved?