PDA

View Full Version : Pavlov's Fish

blackcows
01/10/2013, 07:23 AM
I am assuming most everyone knows about Pavlov's dogs....he rang a bell when he fed the dogs and eventually he could ring the bell without feeding and they would begin to drool.

Has anyone tried conditioning their fish to a feeding signal? Ringing a bell, knocking on the glass, something different? We seem to entertain a lot and I thought it would be cool if I could train, for lack of a better word, my fish to become active, much like they are during feeding, without actually feeding and clouding up the water.

Mike

Pittsburgh
01/10/2013, 07:40 AM
Sure. My tunze powerheads run off the controller with a button to turn them off for a 10 minutes feeding cycle. I always push the button before feeding. Now every time I turn my powerheads off, all the fish come out expecting to be fed. No kidding...

edsbeaker
01/10/2013, 07:41 AM
I'm pretty sure my fish are conditioned. I always turn off the sump pump before feeding, so when they notice the change in flow in the tank they all come front and center to where I put the food in. They remember!!!

By the way, my dogs ring a bell when they have to go out. Sometimes they ring the bell, and after I open the door, they just stand there and don't go out, looking at me as if saying "look at what I can make you do". I don't drool, but I am definitely conditioned. :lmao:

sponger0
01/10/2013, 07:48 AM
Yes they can be conditioned. My clownfish Ive had for over a year, I can walk up to the tank, and they will acknowledge me and continue about their business.

Now if I walk up to the tank with the food container for my fish they go ballistic. They know food is on it's way. They know the container. And they know what is in it.

Ogitrev
01/10/2013, 08:24 AM
As soon as I open the canopy door... my fish go nuts expecting food... lol

Fish Biscuit
01/10/2013, 03:43 PM
I feed my fish a few times a day & the Randall always comes out of the house right before snack time.

Dexters Reef
01/10/2013, 04:18 PM
Twice a day, I take a red solo cup and use it to feed a frozen mysis cube. The first day or two, they hid from it. Every day since, as soon as I wave the cup infront of the tank, all 8 of my fish huddle at the top in a small group anxiously waiting their food.

t4zalews
01/10/2013, 04:21 PM
Canopy door opens...feeding frenzy