PDA

View Full Version : Feeding an Almost ULNS System

reefgeezer
01/10/2013, 09:03 AM
I'd like to start a discussion about feeding my tank. The tank has some SPS, Zoas and a couple of leathers. The fish population includes 2 Firefish, 2 Swallow Tail Dartfish, a Purple Firefish, 2 Bangaii Cardinals, 3 Yellow Tail Blue Damsels, a Flasher Wrasse, and 3 Bartlets Anthias. The tank has no pest algae, undetectable nitrate and phosphate (Salifert), and stable calcium and alkalinity levels. I do have a fuge. It's also bare bottom and just has some very slow growing Cheato in it.

I must admit that although my water quality and chemistry is good and I've gone to great lengths to provide the proper lighting and current in the tank, I don't have the best color in my SPS and the Zoas tend to open but not really happy looking or spreading very much. I currently feed Mysis, Daphnia, and pellets and rely on fish poo as coral food.

In another thread blender mush was mentioned as a good way to feed all the inhabitants of low nutrient systems. I guess what I'm wanting to discuss in broad terms what people feed their low nutrient tanks and what effect it has on coral color and health. Thanks.

username in use
01/10/2013, 12:09 PM
cyclopeeze is a wonderful product for feeding corals along with daphnia, roe, and other small particle foods. You can soak them in a little phyto or oyster feast first and really give them some nutritional pop.

reefgeezer
01/10/2013, 06:36 PM
Bump

Bdial
01/10/2013, 06:55 PM
I'm one of those bandwagoner people when it comes to my tank. If something is working for someone else. I'm probably gonna try it sooner than later. Every day I would get on here and look at all the beautiful tanks around here and spend hours reading build threads. So I start copying people's habits. The biggest thing I could have done was feed. I didn't have very good PE on my acros or colors in general. When I started feeding my tank (several times a day) I noticed happier fish, brighter corals, and almost explosive growth. I feed flakes 2-3x a day, some sort of frozen food about once a day, and dt's phytoplankton and cyclopeeze everyday. I feed the flakes at different points in the day. In the evening when I see the most PE out of my sps and lps I feed something like rods original or PE mysis cyclopeeze with the phytoplankton. Since doing this I've had to work harder on maintains stable levels but the benefits far out weigh the negatives.

reefgeezer
01/10/2013, 08:33 PM
Since doing this I've had to work harder on maintains stable levels but the benefits far out weigh the negatives.

That's been a little bit of a worry for me. My tank is kinda on cruise control right now. I do want improved color though. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I lived in Huntington back in the day... like mid 60's.

Bdial
01/10/2013, 08:47 PM
It takes a little while to get accustomed to the increased need of the tank but after a while you get right back into cruise control. Hardest part is remembering to feed. Lol.

jarrodsanborn
01/10/2013, 09:03 PM
Extra feeding is good for everything, including your anthias! They need lots of small feedings.
It is however bad for water quality..
Maybe slowly increase feeding, test your water regularly, and start carbon dosing or water changes until you find a balance and coast again.

reefgeezer
01/10/2013, 10:19 PM
Extra feeding is good for everything, including your anthias! They need lots of small feedings.
It is however bad for water quality..
Maybe slowly increase feeding, test your water regularly, and start carbon dosing or water changes until you find a balance and coast again.

I have been feeding Daphnia a 3X a day for the Anthias but in very small amounts. I already lightly carbon dose (vinegar) via a dosing pump and have a decent skimmer. I can increase the dosing as required. I already test but I'll increase the frequency as I increase feeding.