PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma confused

diverdan6996
01/11/2013, 10:32 AM
Had purchased a Royal Gramma as first fish, was in water column and seemed okay, was feeding and had 3-4 days. Added Tailspot Blenny and Yellow Watchman w/pistol Shrimp on 4th day everything seemed fine, 5 day noticed Gramma missing, after 2 days of searching found her deceased and end result noticed Emerald crab finishing carcass. Tank has Anemone & Clown pair, Blenny, Yellow Watchman w/ Pistol every thing seems okay. So I added another Royal Gramma and the Gramma hid in rock cave, saw in hiding in rocks for 2 days but was'nt coming out, not even to eat, well found Electric Blue taking care of carcass this morning. I am bothered, cant understand why the 2 have perished...everything for params seems okay...am I missing something?? Params are at 0, well NH3 seems to be at .25 due to death, and PH 8.2-8.4, but rest at 0??

Painted skin
01/11/2013, 12:53 PM
Try QT the first before going into DT, to determine if it's your DT or the batch of fish you got. It could be anything predator or disease.

diverdan6996
01/11/2013, 12:57 PM
Okay, not up to par on abbreviations QT/DT?? Quarentine?!?

Rustafar
01/11/2013, 01:00 PM
QT = Quarantine Tank
DT = Display Tank

.Marshall
01/11/2013, 01:09 PM
I lost my 1st gramma, quarantined the 2nd and it has done great the last 5 months. I believe grammas are a little finicky and need to be QT'd.

Painted skin
01/11/2013, 01:34 PM
Okay, not up to par on abbreviations QT/DT?? Quarentine?!?

This will help.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672798

Esage
01/11/2013, 01:40 PM
Had purchased a Royal Gramma as first fish, was in water column and seemed okay, was feeding and had 3-4 days. Added Tailspot Blenny and Yellow Watchman w/pistol Shrimp on 4th day everything seemed fine, 5 day noticed Gramma missing, after 2 days of searching found her deceased and end result noticed Emerald crab finishing carcass. Tank has Anemone & Clown pair, Blenny, Yellow Watchman w/ Pistol every thing seems okay. So I added another Royal Gramma and the Gramma hid in rock cave, saw in hiding in rocks for 2 days but was'nt coming out, not even to eat, well found Electric Blue taking care of carcass this morning. I am bothered, cant understand why the 2 have perished...everything for params seems okay...am I missing something?? Params are at 0, well NH3 seems to be at .25 due to death, and PH 8.2-8.4, but rest at 0??

I pretty much had the exact same thing happen to me with Royal Gramma's. After the second one died, I waited a couple of months and the third one is still with me. I have know idea why the first two both died a couple days after adding them to the tank.

diverdan6996
01/11/2013, 02:14 PM
A bit old, and it takes a couple minutes to realize sometimes! Figured out what Abb. meant after a couple minutes...DUH! Thanks for replies, talked to my LFS a few minutes ago and he suggested it was due to QT and is going to replace the Gramma at no charge, unfortunately this turned from a 20$ to 40$ fish, but at least he's good that way. At least those are my thoughts. Going to take his suggestion of QT, I have a guppy tank to float in H2O for a couple days to acclimate him with. Best I can do, do not have a specific QT tank. Nice to know I can get some good opinions/advice here, thanks! :wavehand:

evan.lundberg4
01/13/2013, 09:37 AM
What have you been feeding them? Mine refuses to eat anything but frozen mysis or brine shrimp. When I got mine he hid for a good week and only came out for a couple seconds to grab a bit of food and then poof gone again. I find him to he somewhat reclusive, staying close to his rock. Good call on the qt but make sure there are good hiding places. Try frozen foods and even chopped table shrimp for feeding. This was my first and favorite fish and he's gotten massive. Good luck!

i3oosted
01/13/2013, 05:36 PM
I've never known a RG to be shy and hiding, usually it's running other fish out of it's space.

trinidiver
01/13/2013, 06:17 PM
my royal gramma stayed hiding for about a week in my reef tank (200+gal). Stayed in a little hole and just came out to grab food and back out. Now he's all over the tank and thats over a year now

metasinapsis
06/01/2013, 09:43 AM
Ora has some dottybacks and are tank breed so they tendrá to be stronger fish

Sk8r
06/01/2013, 10:48 AM
Don't discount the pistol shrimp as a culprit. Had one that took out several fish including 2 dartfish before I figured it out, and he also killed his goby companion. Once they get too large, they get cranky.