PDA

View Full Version : Clams under DIY LEDs

phishnet
01/11/2013, 01:31 PM
I have purchased a couple crocea clams that are planed to arrive at the end of the month. They are ultra grade (very metallic blue) so they would require a bit more light then the usual crocea clams. The size of the clams are about 2 inches each.

My lights are 14K 150w MH (9" from the water surface). The clams will be placed on rocks about 8" below the water.

ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate= undetectable (running biopellets)
phosphate= undetectable (running GFO)
Alk=10.1dkh (two part)
Ca=410 (two part)
Magnesium=1390
pH= daily swings from 8.05 to 8.3

Here's the dilemma:
I have my MH on for only 5 hours which is not enough for clams, but at the same time I don't want my coral to bleach and water temp to swing.

The build:
So I'm in the process of building lighting with LEDs just for the clams. Right now I'm using four 6500K 3-watt bulbs with 35degree spread lens. All the LEDS are aimed at one location forming a bright spot that is about 8" diameter. That is a total of 12 watts of LED light focused at an area of 8" diameter.

The execution:
Since the MH are only on for 5 hours I'll be turning on the LEDs for an additional 5 hours after the MH turn off. The plan is to start with just two LED bulbs (that's 6-watts) and after couple days turn on another bulb (totaling 9-watts) until all four are on(totaling 12-watts). The schedule will look something like...
day1 = MH on from 4pm-9pm, 2 LED bulbs on from 9pm-2am
day2 = same as day1
day3 = same as day1
day4 = MH on from 4pm-9pm, 3 LED bulbs on from 9pm-2am
day5 = same as day4
day6 = same as day4
day7 = MH on from 4pm-9pm, 4 LED bulbs on from 9pm-2am

If, in the event 12-watts is not enough or as the clam grows, I can add more LED bulbs to the fixture.

I WAS pretty confident of my plans but as I'm getting closer to the time I receive the clams I'm starting to worry that I may have missed something.

If anyone see a flaw in this please feel free to comment and make suggestions.

kfisc
01/26/2013, 08:02 PM
I think you may be over-thinking it. A good spread of highly powered lights as you've suggested here should do fine for most clams even at 8 hours on a consistent basis. However, what you've suggested likely wouldn't hurt: the more light, the better with clams.