PDA

View Full Version : GFO - when to replace?

SKurj
01/12/2013, 08:16 AM
I am using bulk GFO, its not like it changes colour when it is exhausted so I don't know if I should be changing it weekly, monthly? I am able to grow macro in the fuge and in the display(not by choice)

I have always run some form of media in the tank for phosphates but never tested for it. I do not have a reactor(or room for one) so I just put bags of GFO and GAC in my hob fuge where the water enters from the tank.

s_kelley
01/12/2013, 08:54 AM
I think it says That GFO should be changed out weekly. But I have let it go to weeks With no ill effects.

CRJ
01/12/2013, 08:56 AM
well mine says on the box every 6 months. I use antiphos. I change it when i notice algae or do a phosphate test and its above .10 ppm

downbeach
01/12/2013, 09:47 AM
I usually know when I see certain corals begin to start turning a little brown, and have to clean the film buildup on the inside of my tank more frequently. After testing its usually around .05 on my Hanna meter, and I replace it then. I use the BRS HC in a reactor, and replace it about every two months.

kissman
01/12/2013, 10:00 AM
When i was running GFO I changed it out every 2 weeks.

Vinny Kreyling
01/12/2013, 10:04 AM
The only sure way is to test the water exiting the reactor & compare it to the tank itself.
When the #'s get close, time to change media.

Painted skin
01/12/2013, 12:14 PM
The only sure way is to test the water exiting the reactor & compare it to the tank itself.
When the #'s get close, time to change media.

+1

They do change color, they get really dark. How often is all depends on the water it's cleaning and how much is used. For me it's around 4-5 months.