PDA

View Full Version : Humidity Control South FL

C Dog
01/12/2013, 09:29 AM
I am setting up a 400g tank in my house in S FL. The humidity is high outside most of the year. The tank will have a open top with no fish room & the sump will be under the stand. What are my options on to control the moisture inside my house?

Dseg
01/12/2013, 03:10 PM
Get a de humidifier.

ahud
01/12/2013, 10:33 PM
I bought a fairly nice dehumidifier and it still does not completely knock out the humidity. I think you will have problems unless you come up with something.

planedoc
01/13/2013, 09:37 AM
You home ac will remove it. If it's nice out leave your windows open. In the winter you are stuck with a dehumidifier if you have a problem . I have 3 tanks totaling 600 gallons in my 1000 Sq foot house with no problems. I don't use a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier is basically a small self contained air conditioner that generates a lot of heat. Your house ac unit it better because the heat generating condenser is located outside.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

C Dog
01/22/2013, 06:07 PM
Yea I dont want to run a portable dehumidifier if I dont have to. I have heard they use alot of electric and the whole home ones that hook to your A/C cost $$$$. I was looking for a cheaper way

Mr. Demeanor
01/23/2013, 12:52 AM
Exhaust fan into the attic over the tank. My tank is fully enclosed so I have a small quiet computer fan that pulls out the heat/humidity.
I think one of the high end quiet bathroom exhaust fans in the ceiling above the tank would do a lot.
Down here the humidity isnt an issue in the summer when the air is on, its the winter when its 75 in the house without the air on.

Ron Reefman
01/23/2013, 05:06 AM
Exhaust fan into the attic over the tank. My tank is fully enclosed so I have a small quiet computer fan that pulls out the heat/humidity.
I think one of the high end quiet bathroom exhaust fans in the ceiling above the tank would do a lot.
Down here the humidity isnt an issue in the summer when the air is on, its the winter when its 75 in the house without the air on.

You are right about the summertime A/C since it runs so much down here. But in the winter (haha!) or as many people call it, the dry season, the 75 degree air outside is so dry, all you do is open windows. I have 4 tanks and 2 sumps totalling about 500g and humidity isn't an issue at all.

maroun.c
01/23/2013, 06:37 AM
Venting your tank to the outside will help a lot. Still computer fans won't be enough for a tank this size.
I have a 4 Inch turbine venting my tanks cabinet to an attick and then a 5 in turbine ventine the attick to the outside and it does the job on warm days. when it's cold it leads to tank temperature dropping and I have 1200 W of heaters running non stop to keep the temp stable. This year I placed a dehumidifier in the cabinet and ran the ventilation for 20-30 min every 2-3 hours which helped with the temperature loss, the Dehumidifier keeps the cabinet dry when the ventilation is off.