PDA

View Full Version : Koralia Stopped Working

Olgranddad
01/12/2013, 02:39 PM
I was doing a water change and cleaning out some algea. I brushed my koralia and it stopped working. I took it out and cleaned it from all the gunk. I am now soaking in vinegar.

When I plug it in, the pump doesn't turn. If I flicked the impeller it will turn 180 degrees and stopped. If I remove the impeller with it plugged in, I can feel the power is working and generating the magnetic field.

Any ideas?

Patroklos
01/12/2013, 02:52 PM
You didn't happen to try and rotate it in the wrong direction did you?

Olgranddad
01/12/2013, 03:00 PM
I tried rotating in a counter clockwise direction as the back of the impeller faces me.

thebkramer
01/12/2013, 03:11 PM
I love my koralias! but they are notorious for just stopping! grrrrr!!! I have one that sometimes just stops.. I have to bang on it a couple times.. and then it will start working again. So annoying!!!
I hope someone can help you get it going again!!! I also have a 750 that is also doing what yours is...

thebkramer
01/12/2013, 03:12 PM
:headwalls: dblp

cloak
01/12/2013, 03:42 PM
When my koralia stops working or starts running in reverse, I just use a chopstick or something and give the impeller a nudge. I'm not sure why they do this on occasion, I try to keep them clean, but as long as they start back up the right way I'm not too concerned.

This only happens to the pumps when the power goes on & off btw.

Olgranddad
01/12/2013, 04:02 PM
That's the problem, mine isn't starting back up. It makes a half turn and stops again.

I was looking at the bushing on the impeller. I see that there are 2 slits on it 180 degrees apart. These are clean, but I do see like crack leading away from the slit.

At 90 degrees from each of those slits, I see a marking, but no slit.

Does this look like everyone elses bushings? Are the slits normal or did my bushing give out? I'm not sure what the cracks are.

mginn
01/12/2013, 05:29 PM
I can't remember if they have the same type of impeller as the map pumps. If so there is a shaft that needs to rotate inside the magnet that gets bound up with calcium. You need to remove the propeller and slide that shaft out. Soak in vinegar and a little light sand paper to remove deposits and that shaft will spin better inside the magnet.

shonc182
01/12/2013, 07:16 PM
Agree w/ mginn - I have 4 of the Evo 750's in my system and have found that 90% of my issues can be resolved by vinegar cleaning or replacing the shroud when the bump stop breaks off. These are good pumps for the money (they are pretty cheap pumps), but they have issues often enough that I keep a spare pump on hand at all times and a couple of shrouds...mine are off/on at 90sec intervals.

J2T
01/12/2013, 09:21 PM
That's the problem, mine isn't starting back up. It makes a half turn and stops again.

I was looking at the bushing on the impeller. I see that there are 2 slits on it 180 degrees apart. These are clean, but I do see like crack leading away from the slit.

At 90 degrees from each of those slits, I see a marking, but no slit.

Does this look like everyone elses bushings? Are the slits normal or did my bushing give out? I'm not sure what the cracks are.

Are they Evos? Both of my Evos (1400 and 1050) have had the impeller sort of split like you are describing and it prevents it from spinning...no matter how much you bang on it or clean it. Email Hydor, they have sent me replacement impeller shafts for both, waiting on the 1050 replacement now as it just happened last week.

pkirby
01/13/2013, 12:00 AM
I've had 2 1040's do that... Finally said enough is enough and am trying sicce voyager. Seems like a great pump so far

lokii_37
01/13/2013, 12:05 AM
My evo 1400 always has build up on the bushings I have to clean off every two weeks of so. My 2 750s I never have to clean. Having to clean it so often really sucks and I think I will be buying a different brand power head next time. It's a bummer cuz I like the koralias

lokii_37
01/13/2013, 12:39 AM
My evo 1400 always has build up on the bushings I have to clean off every two weeks of so. My 2 750s I never have to clean. Having to clean it so often really sucks and I think I will be buying a different brand power head next time. It's a bummer cuz I like the koralias

HUNTER1
01/13/2013, 09:12 AM
I have two evos 750 and starting in reverse all the time. I turn them off when I spot feed and they start in reverse most of the when plug back in. Unplug ang plug back in does work but how long can you do that. I'm switchng to differnet pump once these go out.

Olgranddad
01/13/2013, 11:18 AM
So do you guys have any recommendations based off experience what I should replace the koralia with? It was a Koralia Evolution 1050. I would like to have something that I can plug in and have work, but is eventually controllable. I don't know if that means it needs to be PWMable or just turn the socket on and off to create waves.