PDA

View Full Version : Cycling my Sexy Tank with shrimp

Pristine
01/13/2013, 01:39 AM
Hi everyone. Here's a quick update on my Sexy Tank. I'm on my eighth day cycling with shrimp. My ammonia level is 8.0. So here are my questions :
1. When do I take out the shrimp?
2. What is the best test kits to use to measure water quality? Currently using API
3. Is using two 750 hydro korlia pumps too much water flow? I have 24 gallon Cardiff. Thank you everyone for your help.

Touring
01/13/2013, 09:01 AM
Are you using live rock? You can take the shrimp out now if your test are comin pos on nitrite/trate. 2 750's are to much. I have 1 in a 30 gallon and its to much.

Pristine
01/13/2013, 10:57 AM
I am have 40 pounds of live sand and 25 pounds of live rock. My nitrite and nitrate are showing up positive. I guess I will stick with one 750 korlia pump. What test kit should I use. Currently using API.

SushiGirl
01/13/2013, 01:37 PM
I'd pull the shrimp now, the ammonia is certainly high enough.

Pristine
01/13/2013, 04:38 PM
I just took out my shrimp. Thanks for your suggestions.

grcforce327
01/13/2013, 05:32 PM
Here's a good place to shop for "sexy"!:lmao:

http://www.victoriassecret.com/

wooden_reefer
01/14/2013, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone. Here's a quick update on my Sexy Tank. I'm on my eighth day cycling with shrimp. My ammonia level is 8.0. So here are my questions :
1. When do I take out the shrimp?
2. What is the best test kits to use to measure water quality? Currently using API
3. Is using two 750 hydro korlia pumps too much water flow? I have 24 gallon Cardiff. Thank you everyone for your help.

If your ammonia is 8 ppm you do not need to add any source of ammonia.

But in general, the purpose of the shrimp is to allow it to decay so as to give ammonia.

I am perplexed why so many people do not get this very simple idea. The shrimp ( or a part of it) that you put in is better blended into milk to promote aerobic decay. Why do so many people get the idea of taking it out???

In stead of a shrimp, you can also use the egg white of a hard boiled egg. Blend the cooked egg white into milk and pour in. I would not use the yolk.

The egg white from one large egg should give about 0.8g of nitrogen. In 100 liters (25 gals) of water this will be 8 ppm N- ammonia. An egg has 6-7 grams of protein minus the yolk will be about 4-5 grams of protein, which has 0.8 gram of nitrogen.

In your case, if your ammonia is 8 ppm you need not add any ammonia.