PDA

View Full Version : Torch is not doing well

thabizness
01/13/2013, 06:19 PM
I think my torch is on the way out. Since Friday it has not extended and has lost most of its flesh. The flesh turned to a brownish material and floated away. It looks like the images of when torches when they expel waste. I did a 10 min dip in seachem reef dip yesterday which has not helped. This would be my first death if it goes. I did move it which I think started the event.

If it dies should I keep the skeleton? What should be my next steps? I am running carbon in sump.

29g/10g sump
Params tested today. Water change yesterday of 5 gallons
Amm: 0
Nitrate:0
Cal:420
Kh: 8
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78

akitareefer
01/13/2013, 08:11 PM
Params are good. Sounds like rapid tissue necrosis. If dipping isn't helping then I would try cutting away the damaged tissue... cutting apart the seperate heads so the infection doesn't spread.... if it already hasen't spread to all heads

Losing coral is unfortunately somewhat common. Sometimes theres nothing you can do, it could have been damaged in transport. I wouldn't do anything with the skeleton until your absolutely sure its not coming back/ no tissue left. I take dead skeletons and throw them in my sump as rubble.

Perhaps see how frogspawn or hammer does in your tank?