PDA

View Full Version : Overflow slurping noise

nanocubedoc
01/14/2013, 07:49 PM
I have a 65g Marineland corner overflow and the overflow is rated at 700gph, however when I increase my return flow-rate to even 300gph, the overflow durso drain pipe begins making a loud slurping noise, and it continues to get louder when I increase the flow-rate anymore. The only way to eliminate the slurping noise is to decrease the flow-rate from my return pump to around 50gph, which is way too low for the health of my tank. Any suggestions? If I get the flow rate up to 700gph will the slurping noise magically stop despite its trend to get louder as the flow rate increases? This would require purchasing a more powerful pump since my Tunze 1073.04 is only outputting about 320gph with the 1.2 meters of height it has to lift the water.

Alternatively, would their be any benefit to making the air tube hole larger at the top of the durso drain pipe to get more air into the drain? Currently I am just working with the durso pipe that came with the marineland tank and have not made any modifications to it.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Relevant Tank Specs: 65g saltwater, 10gallon sump, plumbing is all PVC (overflow drain PVC pipe below tank falls straight to the sump with no angles), Tunze Silence 1073.04 utility pump