PDA

View Full Version : New Kole Tang with Discoloration - Help!

KevinM83
01/15/2013, 11:09 AM
This is my first tank, and my first fish so I'm worried. I have a 29 gallon Biocube, stock setup with no alterations.

I woke up this morning to find he had discoloration and what almost looks like lesions on his right side near his front fin under his gill (pics below, but they are not that good). He did not have this last night before I went to bed, when he had been in the tank for about 4 hours at that point. He also has a small nick in his bottom back fin also which I am not sure was there or not.

I acclimated him using standard drip procedure, and kept the lights low through the whole process. I try to do everything by the book as I am new to the aquarium world. I just got the fish yesterday from a local reputable store. He was wild caught two days ago, and has been in my tank about 12 hours now, and is the first and only fish. I have live rock, snails and crabs. Tank has had rock in it for about a month now, crabs and snails added about two weeks ago along with one small coral frag.

He is swimming around pretty normally (at least in my 12 hour experience). He is hiding within the rocks and coming out here and there, but he is also adjusting to his new home. He is eating algae off the glass mostly, and there is a seaweed strip in there which he hasn't touched, but might be because he has not noticed it. His behavior looks the same as it did last night.

Water was tested at the store yesterday before getting the fish, and everything looked good. Temp is at 79, and salinity is 1.025. I can't identify what is going on, but obviously want to help him ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am a rookie and need a veteran here!

GTR
01/15/2013, 03:06 PM
I would first give it a temperature and pH adjusted freshwater dip. You can do that in a 1-2 gallon container. I'd also add Prazipro to the FW which with help rid the fish of any external parasites. I wouldn't attempt the prazipro without vigorous aeration with an air pump.

Then I'd treat it with an antibiotic in a 5g tank.

Koles seem to come with a wide array of issues, some very apparent right away and others seem to just show up out of nowhere.

That said, I can't really see the problem with the fish from the attached pictures. I only looked at the first two since they load painfully slow here lately. You might consider using photobucket or similar and then link that until the problem is resolved. Maybe the RC hosted image load time is on my end.