PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys frag zoas?

dviper150
01/16/2013, 12:55 PM
I have been fragging zoas both by just breaking them off the rock or plug and by using a blade to scrape under the polyp and cut around. I have nearly 100% survival rate when I just break them off the plug or rock and about 10-30% survival rate if I use a blade to cut the polyp out. There are just some frags you can't break the polyps off the rocks and a blade is needed in those situations. How do guys make frags using a blade with a higher survival rate? I do dip all the frags I made in lugols iodine for 10-15 minutes before putting them back in the tank on their plugs and still have a low survival rate with the blades. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
01/16/2013, 01:07 PM
why cut the polyp off? It's just asking for trouble and being exposed to toxins more and just will damage the polyp and take longer to heal. Just take some bone cutters and break off pieces of the rock. I do that and than glue the rubble and the zoas onto a larger rock or plug and let it grow out and just keep repeating. If you can't reach the polyp than just wait for it to grow and spread itself and them frag it. I've never found a need to frag something to the point of causing stress or damage to it.

dviper150
01/16/2013, 01:12 PM
There are some frags that you can't use bone cutters and by using them, you will end up killing a few polyps so a blade is next best option. I prefer breaking off because its list risk to the zoa and faster healing. Some situations though I can't use bone cutters so I need to use a blade.

KafudaFish
01/16/2013, 02:16 PM
Look at the mat/connective tissue between polyps. Sometimes that connection is pretty thick and other times it is thin.

Ever see a cluster of polyps and then one or two off by themselves like runners from a water melon?

If you cut through the thin section several times using either a razor blade like a safety razor it makes a very clean cut and can be thrown away for cheap and then shave off some rock like you stated there is usually a better chance of survival.

dviper150
01/16/2013, 02:20 PM
I know what you are talking about but the frags I want to cut have a thick connection in between and is just one big cluster/mat.