PDA

View Full Version : reef octopus vs ????

brad_G
01/16/2013, 11:36 PM
First off I've been trying to search RC for the last few days and its been super slow go. It might take 20 min to load a page and I haven't really found what I'm looking for so here goes.

I've got a 125g dt with a 55g sump. I've been looking for a Skimmer and my head is spinning. I'm pretty confident that the reef octopus Diablo line is a good choice for the money. I will buy a reef octopus product but I'm not sure what to get.

The first one I look at is the sx-200. Seems pretty good but then I see the sx-225. It seems like the same Skimmer? Then there is the sro line. What the heck is the difference? To me the only difference in the sx-200 and 225 is that the pump is under the 225 and beside the 200. Am I missing something here? Why is this so confusing to me....

Lain
01/17/2013, 07:49 AM
I think the Diablo lines are using the Sicce pumps, and there has been a few bad reviews on them. The Bubble Blaster pumps might be a better option to go with on the SRO.

klwheat
01/17/2013, 10:51 AM
I would go with something like the Super reef octo 2000 internal or SSS if you need the space. I have the 5000SSS and LOVE it!

Lain
01/17/2013, 03:14 PM
BTW Wheat, nice tank! I wasn't able to find the Stingray in your tank.

brad_G
01/17/2013, 05:01 PM
OK I will look at those. Thanks for the input

waterman78
01/17/2013, 05:38 PM
IMO - what sold me on the Reef Octopus Extreme (Diablo model) XS-200 were the videos I saw on YOUTUBE. Awesome videos and the skimmer really keeps a whole lot of sludge from my 110g with 40g sump.... I have a total of 20 fish. So I went with a slightly larger skimmer due to the heavier bioload.

If you are looking for opinions, here's mine: For the money, the Reef Octopus Extreme models are hands down the BEST SKIMMER on the market for a reef or fish only application. Again, this is my opinion!

check out the videos..... IT'S TRUE WHAT IT SAYS!!!!

mr_bigl
01/17/2013, 06:34 PM
I got the XS-225. I havent been happier. Even in a wet skim i get a nice dark collection. The large lids allows me lazy time so i dont have to dump it daily or every other day. more like once every 4 days or so. I have a 130 DT with a 40 sump so im right there with you in tank size. No issues with the pump thus far.