PDA

View Full Version : Did I just Kill my Rock ??

maroonman
01/17/2013, 04:48 PM
Stupid mistake on my Behalf.
I have been Trying to Cure Roughly 100lbs of Rock in My Brute Trash Can. I had the Salinity Set @ 1.022 for the Past 3 weeks. Still not seeing any Ammonia Spikes ( but Noticed a Po4 ) Up to 2.0.
So I decided to change out some water ( roughly 15 Gallons ) .

Longer story Short. I somehow managed to turn my RO water on and not my Mixed ..And shot that into my Trash can . Bringing my Levels Down to 1.016 ( over a 1 hr time frame. ) I've slowly been bringing it back up.

I opened up the Sock I threw in that had copos. inside it...And they are All still Alive and kicking.

Have I just killed the Cycle process on this Rock????

disc1
01/17/2013, 07:41 PM
You might have done a little damage, but nothing that won't fix itself in short order.

Skynyrd Fish
01/17/2013, 07:57 PM
Your fine. Enjoy the new rock.

bnumair
01/17/2013, 09:01 PM
i agree if there is damage it will be short and fast fix on its own over time with right chemistry of course.

tmz
01/17/2013, 11:14 PM
1.016 sg won't suppress the biofilter( ie nitariying and denitrifying bacteria ) very much.Folks use hyposalinity treatments for parasitic fish infestations at 1.009 and biofilter suppression is minor. Some animals in or on the rock like mussels and sponges and pods may suffer but would likely die off for the most part anyway.

For high PO4 in the water when curing rock, dosing lanthanum chloride can be less expensive and easier than large water changes..You just swish off the precipitated lanthanum phospahte before placing the rock in the display tank.