PDA

View Full Version : Question about resealing a tank

zland1
01/19/2013, 12:19 AM
So I came across a over 220g Leemar Aquarium that someone is selling cheap but it has a small leak on the front left corner (It drops every 5 seconds.) is it worth putting the time in to fix it? I've watched the videos on how to but once you cut the silicone and reseal it how is it long term would i have to worry about it?

jsjonesrdh
01/19/2013, 12:45 AM
Do you have an aquarium builder in the area? You could pay them to do it perhaps? From what I have read seam leaks require complete dismantling and new silicone. How cheap is cheap?

uncleof6
01/19/2013, 01:13 AM
If the tank is leaking, the structural seam is compromised. The only fix, is to rebuild the tank. Well, you might say: "But it is only leaking in this one spot." That is true, however, it won't be long before it is leaking other places. The tank, is done; its service life over. Rebuild it, or use it for a reptile tank.

The real advice: a leaking tank is not cheap, no matter if it is free. Do not buy someone Else's problems--at any price.

zland1
01/19/2013, 01:22 AM
Tank, stand, canopy, sump and pump for around $600.

has anyone tried - Aquarium Münster ORCA Underwater glue.

Also here's the video I was talking about when resealing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM

uncleof6
01/19/2013, 02:08 AM
Tank, stand, canopy, sump and pump for around $600.

has anyone tried - Aquarium Münster ORCA Underwater glue.

Also here's the video I was talking about when resealing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM

Zland1:

The tank is leaking. That means the structural seam is compromised. Compromised means it is NO GOOD. The structural seam, between the panels must be redone. The structural seam is what holds the tank together, the inner seal just keeps water off the structural seam--becasue water damages silicone over time. That means removing the glass panel, cleaning all silicone residue off the glass, and re-siliconing the panel in place. You cannot repair this tank, any other way.

Since the tank is leaking, the other seams are probably ready to go also. That means: take the tank completely apart, and rebuild it. A video on resealing a tank is not going to do you--or anyone else--any good. You cannot safely re-seal this tank, without rebuilding it first.

The bottom line is NO matter what the price is, no matter what comes with it--it is still too expensive. The tank is junk. I don't think you have the experience to rebuild the tank, or you would not be asking about "resealing" it, and I doubt you want to pay for the tank, and then pay someone to rebuild it for you. It just is not worth it.

Cost of junk tank and other stuff: $600.

Cost of water damage, loss of critters: $5000, $10,000, $100,000?

If the tank and stuff were FREE, it would be too expensive.

Did I explain it a little bit better this time? :)

jsjonesrdh
01/19/2013, 02:12 AM
Deleted redundant post

zland1
01/19/2013, 02:54 AM
Did I explain it a little bit better this time? :)
I got it the first time, your post didn't happen to be there when I was replying to jsjonesrdh (I tend to alt tab a lot even more so with the slow load times lately).

I was leaning towards not buying it but just wanted to clear any doubts I had on passing on it since my current 240g tank is tempered in the back and front so can't be drilled for overflows and I also came across a lot of the videos similar to the one above that put crazy thoughts in my head :rollface:.

Thank you for the responses