PDA

View Full Version : removing mushrooms from rock

SGTG
01/20/2013, 08:01 PM
how can i remove mushrooms from rock? i went to petco today for salt and took at look at their salt water tanks. they had corals for the 1st time. i got a huge carpet anemonie and a rock full of red mushroom dont know what theyre called but will post pics of them tomorow. anyway since theres about 10+ mushrooms on there i want to remove a couple and put them in different areas in the tank. but i saw there really stuck to the rock. i paid $40 for the rock of mushrooms and $44 for the huge green carpet anemonie it meassures about 8-9" in diameter. i want to frag it into 4 pieces in about 2 months from now. depending on health then. willing to trade frags of it. if any one wants to trade for other things let me know.

johnc99
01/21/2013, 01:21 AM
Give it some time and some of the mushrooms will detach themselves. You can encourage their detachment by increasing the flow directed on to the rock. Just collect the free swimmers before they attach somewhere else.

ACBlinky
01/21/2013, 07:21 AM
^this works well.

If you want to frag them NOW, you can chisel, break or cut the rock (depending on shape/porosity), leaving a bit of rock beneath the mushroom's foot, and then glue the frag onto another rock.

Take care with the anemone, research fragging before you do anything, carpets are touchy from what I've read. Better to have one happy healthy nem than four dead frags.

ACBlinky
01/21/2013, 07:50 AM
^this works well.

If you want to frag them NOW, you can chisel, break or cut the rock (depending on shape/porosity), leaving a bit of rock beneath the mushroom's foot, and then glue the frag onto another rock.

Take care with the anemone, research fragging before you do anything, carpets are touchy from what I've read. Better to have one happy healthy nem than four dead frags.

SGTG
01/22/2013, 07:41 PM
i read up on the carpet nem after i got it. they are very fragile. but so far so good. the tentacles are sticky i read as long as they remain sticky there ok. am checking every day. i was told i can pull them of with a pair of needle nose pliers or scissors in a kind of rolling motion. very gently. am willing to trade some for more color full ones if any one aroung long island new york. i never shipped so dont know hows that going to go.