PDA

View Full Version : Need help with butterfly fish!

ag09g
01/21/2013, 03:34 PM
On thursday I received a Longnose Atlantic Butterflyfish (Prognathodes aculeatus) that I ordered from DD. He arrived beautiful and healthy and is surprisingly outgoing. Upon being introduced into the tank he almost immediately began picking at rocks eating what Im assuming were the hundreds of tiny feather duster worms that had come with the live rock. I had a 10 gallon quarantine tank that I could have put him in, but was concerned that if I couldnt get him to eat prepared foods he would have absolutely NOTHING to eat in the quarantine. Seeing that he's from DD, I decided to take a gamble and put him in a 28g reef for an acclimatization period. As Ive said, he has been grazing in the tank since day one, and also readily accepts live black worms.

My issue is that he has ignored any prepared food Ive put in. He gets very excited when I add pellets/frozen food, but wont actually try any. So far the most interest Ive seen is with mysis - hell swim right up to them but then stop and turn away. He doesnt seem the least bit stressed, hes active and will swim right up to me, its just like he doesnt register that these things are food.

Is this just a matter of time until he figures it out? Are there any tricks??

DopeCantWin
01/21/2013, 03:57 PM
Have you tried Brine?

ag09g
01/21/2013, 04:07 PM
I have not tried brine mainly because Im afraid Ill get him hooked on something that isnt very nutritious....

DopeCantWin
01/21/2013, 04:10 PM
Once he's eating something, you could start mixing a little mysis in at a time for him. Gradually increasing the ratio of mysis to brine.