PDA

View Full Version : Good Price for a Carpet Anemone?

Aquat
01/21/2013, 10:53 PM
Hi all, I just got back from Petco since I needed new T5HO bulbs and I decided to take a gander at the reef section. Couldn't hurt right? Well, the first thing I saw was this huge Carpet Anemone. When I say huge, I mean this thing was like the size of 3 year old infant's head. Maybe bigger! It had nice colors, possibly better under better lighting. I checked the price and it was going for $35! I asked the associate to turn the anemone 360' degrees so I can do a quality check. The foot had a clean cut but what troubled me was the size of it's gaping mouth. This is a bad sign right? Everything else seems okay, no tear any where else.

I held off and so I could ask for some advice. Is this a good price? Imagine 2 softballs. Wish I had taken a picture. My only anemone is a Sebae and it's going strong, beautiful colors and health.

kirdro
01/21/2013, 11:33 PM
Sounds like there was a good sized shipment to Oklahoma PETCO's this week. There was one at the Stillwater Petco that was about the same size as the one you described. HUGE.

jeffm59
01/22/2013, 12:24 AM
Gaping mouth and a pedal laceration = stay away. See the thread in the anemone section regarding nems with a tear in the foot

Aquat
01/22/2013, 04:05 PM
Wet Pets by Steve down in Norman had nice Carpet Anemone for around $40+ and they were decent size but nothing compared to this one.

I really wanted to buy it, but I was afraid if it died. That's a lot of decomposing meat. Also, I was thinking of selling it to a club or something. Maybe split it in 2 first, too huge for my tank.