PDA

View Full Version : Is it difficult to peel off GSP

Chihuahua6
01/22/2013, 07:32 PM
I read in the past that you can peel the mat off the rock. Is this easy to do? I have several rocks covered in it. It looks nice and I keep them separate from the other rocks but one rock is really nice and I would like to reclaim it. Should I bother?

Charley Diesing
01/22/2013, 08:14 PM
I read in the past that you can peel the mat off the rock. Is this easy to do? I have several rocks covered in it. It looks nice and I keep them separate from the other rocks but one rock is really nice and I would like to reclaim it. Should I bother?

If the rock is very smooth or if its growing on glass then yes it is. Sadly Rock is very porous. And most of the time GSP will grow deep into the rock.

About 6 months ago I got rid of my GSP(was taken over my tank)... needless to say it didn't peel off. I had to take the rock out of the tank, use a razor blade, chisel, and hammer.

My advise. Isolate it now. Don't let it grow anywhere you can't just take the rock out and trade it into your LFS. Honestly its one of the prettiest corals, sadly it often becomes a pest.
Good luck!

Anemone
01/22/2013, 08:45 PM
If the rock is very smooth or if its growing on glass then yes it is. Sadly Rock is very porous. And most of the time GSP will grow deep into the rock.

About 6 months ago I got rid of my GSP(was taken over my tank)... needless to say it didn't peel off. I had to take the rock out of the tank, use a razor blade, chisel, and hammer.

My advise. Isolate it now. Don't let it grow anywhere you can't just take the rock out and trade it into your LFS. Honestly its one of the prettiest corals, sadly it often becomes a pest.
Good luck!

Ditto. The below is a 36" long X 18" wide X 16" high tank:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/StarPolypsOverAll.jpg

Kevin

Chihuahua6
01/22/2013, 11:02 PM
Wow Kevin! Unbelievable. I know it spreads. I allow it to grow on one small rock that I keep away from the rest. I was given a bunch of beautiful rock from a friend who let it cover a few of them. I guess I'll let it be and keep it separate from the other rocks like I am currently doing.