PDA

View Full Version : It's gotta be done

countrykat
01/23/2013, 02:53 AM
Well, after many searches and trying a few hundred different things to get rid of phosphates and aptasia, I think I am going to empty the DT and start from scratch. I have a spare tank I could put my frags and small clowns in for a few months while I give my rock an acid bath and then cook it for a few months. This is what I am planning: (let me know if you have any suggestions please) take a couple of the larger pieces of rock and the sand and transfer to other tank so I can keep my biological going. Empty the dt and acid wash the rock and then cook for a few months. Both of the processes should leave my rock like new without leaching phosphates and no more aptasia. Replace with the Black Hawaiin sand and take care of all the other little tid bits that have been bugging me about my plumbing and other setup options that I think could be done better. As much as I am going to hate doing this, I know it's what I must do if I want a tank that I can be proud of. I just keep telling myself it's going to be ok. I'm just tired of fighting a losing battle. Maybe I'll do a here's where I am now with pictures over the next few months.

thebkramer
01/23/2013, 07:50 AM
Have you tried running GFO or Polyfilter?? how are your nitrates?? how old are your lights?

you sure you want to start all over?

EDIT:
do you use tap water by chance? or RO or RO/DI??

I fully understand your frustrations!! I have been battling cyano for well over a year (along with high nitrates and phos but they don't read) I was really close to just breaking it down.. but I stuck it in a bit longer.. and with the help of some great reefers here.. I have things back on track now!! :bounce3:

Good Luck to you!!! I hope you find a great solution!!!

potterjon
01/23/2013, 08:15 AM
Just keep in mind that cooking rock can get very expensive and time consuming wit alll the water changes you have to do. I can't help but think there is another way but it sounds like you have exhausted all other options so I don't blame you.
As far as aptasia go I would try nudies before I pulled all my rock and started using acid.

Cymonous
01/23/2013, 08:42 AM
What type of substrate (bedding) are you using? You can slowly just change out your bedding with new stuff. Aiptasia can be taken care of in so many ways. Epoxy, Aiptasia-X, Lemon juice, inverts that eat Aiptasia. I went with Aiptasia-X and it cleared it up real good.

After doing a complete re-do, you may end up with the same troubles down the road and get frustrated all over again. I would try again to clear the issues instead of just starting all over.

Lain
01/23/2013, 02:50 PM
Dumb of me, but is cooking necessary after an acid bath? The bath should kill everything and rid the rocks of P04 in the process. Can't you just start the cycle process after the bath?

countrykat
01/23/2013, 08:44 PM
Dumb of me, but is cooking necessary after an acid bath? The bath should kill everything and rid the rocks of P04 in the process. Can't you just start the cycle process after the bath?

I didn't think the acid removed the phosphates but that would be nice if it did. I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge on the process will chime in.

chrisfont23
01/23/2013, 08:49 PM
Well, after many searches and trying a few hundred different things to get rid of phosphates and aptasia, I think I am going to empty the DT and start from scratch. I have a spare tank I could put my frags and small clowns in for a few months while I give my rock an acid bath and then cook it for a few months. This is what I am planning: (let me know if you have any suggestions please) take a couple of the larger pieces of rock and the sand and transfer to other tank so I can keep my biological going. Empty the dt and acid wash the rock and then cook for a few months. Both of the processes should leave my rock like new without leaching phosphates and no more aptasia. Replace with the Black Hawaiin sand and take care of all the other little tid bits that have been bugging me about my plumbing and other setup options that I think could be done better. As much as I am going to hate doing this, I know it's what I must do if I want a tank that I can be proud of. I just keep telling myself it's going to be ok. I'm just tired of fighting a losing battle. Maybe I'll do a here's where I am now with pictures over the next few months.

It's funny. Only we know aiptasia to be bad. I have a massive aiptasia growing on my drain line extending above my tank. People often comment on how pretty it is :)

I know they are a pest and tough to combat, but hang in there. A few peppermint shrimp helped me in the past.

Lain
01/23/2013, 10:25 PM
I didn't think the acid removed the phosphates but that would be nice if it did. I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge on the process will chime in.

The acid dip should remove a layer from the rocks which is phosphate. That's the point of cooking or acid bath the rocks. I'm in the process of setting up my tank again, and I'm choosing to bleach and acid bath afterwards. Supposedly some algae might be a bit more resistant to the acid. The bleach should kill everything organic on the rocks. Here is a long thread discussing the differences between bleaching and acid bath.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587539&highlight=acid+bath+remove+phosphate

countrykat
01/23/2013, 11:27 PM
The acid dip should remove a layer from the rocks which is phosphate. That's the point of cooking or acid bath the rocks. I'm in the process of setting up my tank again, and I'm choosing to bleach and acid bath afterwards. Supposedly some algae might be a bit more resistant to the acid. The bleach should kill everything organic on the rocks. Here is a long thread discussing the differences between bleaching and acid bath.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587539&highlight=acid+bath+remove+phosphate

Thank You that was a good read.

MarcusH
01/24/2013, 09:31 AM
Ive been to this point before also and went forward with a complete tear down with new sand and rock. It was for a different reason but the results were great sometimes enough is enough

countrykat
01/25/2013, 05:25 PM
Very well said! I already have the wifey excited about what we can do. "Gimme a blank check hun" Oh Yeehhh!!

Sk8r
01/25/2013, 09:38 PM
I would really recommend you just a) use ro/di only, forever (phosphate arrives in tapwater), and b) run a gfo for about 3 months or so; that should take care of your phosphate problem and algae; and once you get your water in balance, your aiptasia problem is solvable. The aiptasia aren't related to the phosphate, but they do seem to be far worse when a tank has other issues.

countrykat
01/26/2013, 10:29 AM
I use a ro/di unit with 2 di filters hooked up. TDS meter says 0 on the output. I upped my flow to about 30 x about a week ago and it seems to be holding algae back a lot better than before. Haven't checked for po4 yet.

countrykat
01/26/2013, 05:49 PM
I would really recommend you just a) use ro/di only, forever (phosphate arrives in tapwater), and b) run a gfo for about 3 months or so; that should take care of your phosphate problem and algae; and once you get your water in balance, your aiptasia problem is solvable. The aiptasia aren't related to the phosphate, but they do seem to be far worse when a tank has other issues.

I will take your advice and try it your way. Just ordered some more gfo from brs. It is normally saturated in about 3 days so this is going to be a little pricey but I'll do it anyway. I have a couple corals that I was very nervice about moving to the spare tank and then back in a month with little to no cycle. I'll keep adding to my test log and send you a pm if I have any questions.

Thanks
Jim

thebkramer
01/26/2013, 05:53 PM

I will take your advice and try it your way. Just ordered some more gfo from brs. It is normally saturated in about 3 days so this is going to be a little pricey but I'll do it anyway. I have a couple corals that I was very nervice about moving to the spare tank and then back in a month with little to no cycle. I'll keep adding to my test log and send you a pm if I have any questions.

Thanks
Jim

Sk8r is one RC'er that gives AWSOME advice!! She won't steer you wrong!! (atleast not purposely! :lol2: ) and she doesn't mind helping!!!!
She was AMAZING (along with some other great RC'rs) helping me with my INSANE cyano war!!!!
I am beyond Thankful & Very Appreciative of the Help I received!!!!

Good Luck to you Jim!!!!

-Rhonda :bounce3:

bglegs
01/27/2013, 08:38 AM

I'm in the same situation, been a year.I've tried many options...I've burned through alot of gfo and it hasn't cleared up.:headwally: