PDA

View Full Version : moved corals from holding tank. noticed slight browning

mos90
01/23/2013, 09:37 AM
i recently just finished setting up my 300 gal reef tank. for the move had my fish in a 150g holding tank and corals in a 75g.

over the 75 i had an aquatraders mh fixture with 2-250w phoenix de mh's and 4-39w actinic t'5. mh were on for 5 hour day and t5's for 10 and were 6" off the water. i had all my corals on the sandbed in that tank.

par readings were low 200's on the sand. 20" deep tank

by the way the 2 corals ive noticed are a purple nana and hawkins blue enchinata.

the water parameters in both tank are almost identical.

cal-400
alk-9
ph 8.1
nitrate-0
phos-0 the phos might be .01 in the new tank. hanna ppb meter.

the only difference in the tank are the lights.

the new tank is an 8ft tank with a 6' light. i used a hamilton cebusun fixture with 3-250w hamilton 14k se bulbs and 2-80 ati blue plus and 2-hamilton 420 actinics. i was running the mh's for 5 hours and actinics for 10. but the light fixture is 14" off the water but par was almost identical on the sand and slightly higher where i mounted the coral (250).

the reason i think they are receiving less light then before is ive noticed a green polyp coral slightly browning also.

i figured i would give them a little more light so i lowered the fixture down 2" and lengthened the photo period to 6 hours. i think the t'5 are good at 10 hours.

both tanks have glass top so that shouldnt be an issue. im hoping i didnt need to go with 400w mh's. the tank is 25" deep

any ideas what the problem might be besides light? i know the tank is only a month and 1/2 old. that could be an issue, but parameters are in check so i dont think so.

the only other idea is they could be slightly stressed from the move 2 weeks ago.