PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old Momma Maroon clown died now what?

torit123
01/23/2013, 03:48 PM
A bacterial infection took my first first, a huge 5 inch maroon clown who was 10 , I added her mate about 5 years ago. The little guy is miserable, he has 2 anemones so feels safe but how do I go about getting a replacement female, I know a large wild full bellied maroon but my little guy has grown, how much larger do they need to be to dominate as a female and also does the color matter as mine are very dark and the ones I see in LFS are a much brighter orange with yellow stripe. Tank is a 125 long under T-5.

Any warnings or experience?

Tori

Catchoftheday
01/23/2013, 05:11 PM
I would say you need to get one that is smaller then the male and what will happen is the male will turn female and the new male will stay male

Anemone
01/23/2013, 07:01 PM
When my 9 year old mated female died, I waited about 2-3 months and got another, smaller replacement. When I originally paired the female with the male, she beat the heck out of him, but when I did the new pairing, the male-who-became-female accepted the new arrival with very little drama. Took about 18 months for the new pair to start spawning.

Kevin

torit123
01/24/2013, 10:34 AM
Thank you ! Wasn't thinking get smaller and let male become female....I think he'll enjoy being a woman for a while lol, going to wait a bit longer and get a smaller maroon...Thank you again !

Catchoftheday
01/24/2013, 05:19 PM
Thank you ! Wasn't thinking get smaller and let male become female....I think he'll enjoy being a woman for a while lol, going to wait a bit longer and get a smaller maroon...Thank you again !
You are welcome and good luck