PDA

View Full Version : Question about STORM

quan325i
01/23/2013, 04:14 PM
Hi Kevin,

I finally reconfigured my system and am ready to setup the STORM. Is it possible to setup the STORM with the RODI fresh water tank above the sump? I'm afraid of syphoning as my fresh water bin is sitting above the sump. Thanks.

QN

quan325i
01/23/2013, 04:24 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/106259636062808233426/albums/5836789141178489905?authkey=CNmPvNyPjfKQew

quan325i
01/23/2013, 04:31 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106259636062808233426/albums/5836789141178489905/5836789145705669570

GenesisReefSys
01/23/2013, 05:01 PM
Hi QN,

Yes, you can certainly keep the RODI top off bin above the sump, but as you indicate a forward siphon will form and will overflow your sump even after the pump turns off unless you employ a siphon break at the top of your RODI top off bin.

We don't have the siphon break on our site yet, but we do have them in stock and available for $16.99. They work with 1/2" rigid PVC, are easy to install, and will prevent a forward siphon from forming. Simply install it at the highest point of the tubing run from your RO/DI - right above your top off bin in your setup. Anytime the pressure in the line becomes negative (anytime a small vacuum is formed), the siphon break will open and allow air into the line, preventing the siphon from forming.

By the way, I could only see the first picture you posted; the other would not open. No problem though - the first was all that was needed. Thanks for posting the pictures - they really are worth a thousand words.

Please just email me directly through our contact page and I'll handle your order manually since it isn't listed on the site yet.

Kevin

GenesisReefSys
01/23/2013, 05:39 PM
Hi QN,

I actually just updated our site to add the siphon break kit, so you'll be able to place your order through our site anytime you wish.

The siphon break kit can be found here:
http://www.genesisreefsystems.com/proddetail.php?prod=05-000016-01

Have a great evening,
Kevin

quan325i
01/24/2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Kevin,

I'll order it through your website and I have another few other questions:
1. Would it be able to setup the STORM without the fresh water bin? instead using the sump and connect the rodi directly to the sump
2. For redundancy against flooding, could the ROCV help?

Thanks.

QN

GenesisReefSys
01/24/2013, 12:29 PM
Hi Quan,

You could indeed run the RO/DI straight to your sump, but I would strongly recommend doing so. There are a couple reasons for this:
1. Because the top off bin provides a "buffer" layer between the virtually endless supply of water coming from your RO/DI filter, if there was ever to be some sort of mishap with your filter, it affects your top off bin instead of your sump and aquarium inhabitants.
2. The use of a top off bin that is filled all at once reduces TDS creep and extends the life of your RO membrane and DI resin. Each time your RO/DI filter starts producing water, the output water from the membrane is of really poor quality the first minute or so. This means your DI resin has to work overtime to mop up as much of the stuff that makes it through your RO membrane as it can - and as a result your DI resin is quickly exhausted. If it starts and stops often, as it would if you had it top off your sump directly, the DI resin does almost all of the work of your filter, and it doesn't do as well a job as if you were to "start" your RO/DI filter less frequently for a given volume of water. In other words, by filling your RO/DI top off bin all at once as the STORM™ and ROCv™ combination does, your top off water will be of higher quality and your DI resin will last much longer.

The ROCv™ does indeed help against flooding - as I know from experience. The reason we recommend placing the ROCv™ between your RO filter and the municipal supply is to help prevent a flood if your filter were to develop a leak. Imagine a crack in a filter canister - the water from the municipal supply will go straight through that crack and onto your floor. However, by placing the ROCv™ on the input side of your RO filter the water will only flow into your filter when the ROCv™ is open. It may not completely prevent a flood, but it can certainly reduce the severity!

Additionally, with the STORM™ Upgrade (which adds the ROCv™ and four sensors), the failsafe sensors are mounted higher up in the sump and at the top of your top off bin, further insulating against any flooding.

Hope this helps!
Kevin