PDA

View Full Version : How fast to change to ro/di

Katiehayes
01/23/2013, 09:52 PM
I am getting a ro/di unit tomorrow and wanted to know how much water to change at a time, all of it? 50%?. Any input would be great I'm having a algae problem due to tap water I think it's a 55 fowlr

tmz
01/23/2013, 10:38 PM
I'd do several 15% changes over the course of a week,say 60% total to avoid shocking the system. Checking ammonia,nitirtate and phosphate would give a better clue .

Ghstwolf
01/23/2013, 11:38 PM
Stick with your normal water change routines, maybe add an extra 5g change in and make sure your auto top off is changed over to Ro/Di.. (If you have an ATO)

Changing over to Ro/Di will not solve your algea issues, but it will help.. There are plenty of reef owners here that get algea and started their tanks off of Ro/Di.. Are you running GFO/Rowaphos/Kent Phospate Sponge anything like that? How much and how often do you feed? What type of skimmer are you running, and is it running for a wet or dry skim?

bertoni
01/24/2013, 12:33 AM
I would stick to the regular schedule unless the tank is losing animals.

Katiehayes
01/24/2013, 08:23 AM
I don't have a sump but I am running chemi pure elite and phos guard in a hob filter and I run a octopus hob skimmer it between wet and dry I guess and I just lost my condy anemone this morning I've had it a long time

tmz
01/24/2013, 10:09 AM
The chemi pure elite is a mix of granulated activted carbon and granulated feerric oxide(gfo) a PO4 adsorbent and a some di resin .; the resin is useless in salt water but doesn't hurt anything.
I thought it was a fowlr (fish only with live rock) tank per post one. Trace metals from tap water are more likely to damage invertebrates than fish
Hard to know if the anemone death is related to the tap water or some other issue .

Katiehayes
01/24/2013, 10:21 AM
That was the only thing I had other than the fish that's why I said it was fowlr

bertoni
01/24/2013, 10:46 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear about the anemone. I'd probably just keep the regular water change schedule for a bit and stay away from corals and anemones for a while, at least.

Katiehayes
01/25/2013, 08:08 AM
I think I will until its under control