PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Crack in empty sump

GreenMan13
01/24/2013, 12:46 PM
So I'm working towards getting a 50 gallon reef started. Was planning on using a 4ft long 50 gallon as a sump for it but when I tested it last night for leaks, one of the long panels cracked. Just enough to start leaking but not enough to fracture the glass any worse.

Since it's just going to be the sump this is what I was thinking. Get a small piece of glass that is the full height of the tank and use adhesive caulk (ge something 108 I think) to patch it to the inside over the crack. Then put in the baffles which will add more support as well.

This tank is also missing the middle plastic support which probably was the cause of the fracture. With the baffles in will I need to add a brace as well or should the baffles be enough of a brace?

Thanks.

slipknottin
01/24/2013, 02:57 PM
Honestly, for any standard size tank under 90 gallons, just replace the entire tank. It's the fastest and easiest way to go and much more reliable than trying to fix a tank with a broken pane and a broken cross brace

uncleof6
01/24/2013, 06:32 PM
Retire the tank, and make it a reptile tank. The proper repair is replacing the panel. A patch will not hold very long. It is too involved, and in the long run, cheaper just to replace it.

sleepydoc
01/24/2013, 10:06 PM
+1 on replacing the tank. A patch likely won't hold, especially without the brace. Baffles won't replace the brace either. You'll spend more time, effort and money trying to fix it than you would getting a new one.

GreenMan13
01/27/2013, 04:34 PM
Had a feeling. Maybe I will just save the good panels to cut and use as baffles in a different tank. Thanks. Guess it's back to looking for a tank.

philip mendes
01/27/2013, 05:31 PM
+1 on getting new tank...in the long run its gona proably cheaper then a repair and in this hobby piece of mind knowing u have nice reliable equipment is worth the $$$$$$...imo...

zakstrong
01/27/2013, 09:03 PM
have to say i agree with replacing the tank. if you are feeling like taking a chance had a 40 breeder that was cracked when a hole was being drilled, and another that crunched during shipping.

what i did was take take two 1/4 inch sheets and lay them on either side of the tank side. I used a tube of silicone on either side and covered everything, and i mean everything. On the inside i make sure all of the seems were overlapped with new silicone. sandwiched it all together and let it dry. drilled the other side of each and used them as frag tanks. I had them in my basement and was trying to turn trash into treasure so there wasnt a lot at stake for me. They are both still solid and leak proof four years later.

It can be done but do you really want to risk having to tear down your tank.

zakstrong
01/27/2013, 09:04 PM
should clarify the silicone was between the new sheets of glass and the existing cracked sheet. If i were you buy a new sump, fix your 50 gallon as mentioned above and use it to mix saltwater. no huge risk and save yourself some money on buying a brute trash can.

keithhays
01/27/2013, 09:05 PM
Retire it, I rebuilt a glass tank once, which is what you will have to do, and believe me it is truly not worth the trouble. By time you get through scraping of all the silicone, you will just want to tank a hammer to it anyway.