PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing

rlpardue
01/25/2013, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Per Uncle's recommendation, I'm now planning the plumbing phase of my overflow/sump/return system. I read through the first dozen pages of the beananimal overflow thread and like the idea. Could somebody please confirm I could use the beananimal system on my build?

The tank is 5x2x2. The single corner overflow is 12" x 6" and has three bulkheads already installed: two of them are 1" and one is 3/4". Can I build standpipes to fit in these holes that would conform to the beananimal setup? Or do I need to run a coast-to-coast? I have a 2 3/8" holesaw from glass-holes already that I'll be using a few times for a closed loop intake. Maybe I could build an external coast-to-coast box? I'd like to keep it simple if possible though and use the corner overflow already in place.

Uncle says I need to buy a return pump, so was thinking of like a Mag 18 or something similar and using any excess flow to run a pair of BRS reactors. Let's just assume between 1200-1500 GPH flow.

Could I use the two 1" bulkheads as the "siphon" and "emergency" overflows, then use the single 3/4" bulkhead as the "open channel" overflow?

Also, is there a thread somewhere that can provide some tips & tricks to using the search function effectively? I noticed RC has sped up a bit in the past few days, I'd like to make use of it :)