PDA

View Full Version : Dense foam pushing cap off protein skimmer.

FunkieReefJunkie
01/25/2013, 08:18 PM
Whether or not the skimmate is wet or dark the foam is so dense it pushes up and out the collection cup. I have adjusted the water level, the water valve, even played with the air intake. This is a cone skimmer & I've owned it for about a year. It has never been as consistent as the old BK, but the dense bubble problem overflowing the cup is new. The skimmate itself never overflows.

Please help me problem solve! Thank you.

GSMguy
01/25/2013, 08:32 PM
Put a weight on the lid?

FunkieReefJunkie
01/25/2013, 08:38 PM
Already did that. The foam just pushes right out of the breather holes. Thank you.

wildman926
01/25/2013, 08:41 PM
skim wetter to remove more waste instead of allowing it to build foam.

FunkieReefJunkie
01/25/2013, 08:49 PM
Been allowing it to skim green tea color skim mate. Pretty wet. Will continue to do so. Been thinking same logic. Whether it will resolve itself soon I can't predict. Thank you.

reeferlover
01/25/2013, 09:04 PM
wow not a bad thing if the water is dirty lol change some water. my thought is some much filth in the water

FunkieReefJunkie
01/25/2013, 09:20 PM
Hmm. 0 nitrate & nitrite according to two different brand tests. Assumed I had a phosphate problem because I had brief spell of green slime algae on a small reef rack... Nowhere else. Problem resolved with dripping kalkwasser each night & intentional bacterial blooming by vodka dosing that I would kill off each night with ozone. All inhabitants are happy. Stopped intentional bacterial blooming long time ago. Just dose vodka normally now. Do make small weekly water changes. Thank you.

Tigé21v
01/26/2013, 08:21 AM
Are you still dripping kalk? If so, that may be what has sent your skimmer into overdrive.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031275

FunkieReefJunkie
01/26/2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you Tige21v for the link on saponification. kH is around 80 ppm (mg/L). pH 7.8. Have to reorder calcium test. Going to back off the kalkwasser unless my pH & kH drop to unacceptable levels. Correct me if I'm wrong. Washing soda is a surfactant. Sodium bicarbonate raises pH but then drops it so I want to avoid the two.