PDA

View Full Version : "Stars and Stripes" puffer thread / questions

Gary Majchrzak
01/26/2013, 10:56 AM
I'm not too familiar with this species.
Somebody local is getting rid of their large S&S puffer and I want to match it with an appropriate new home.
1) Can it destroy an acrylic aquarium?
2) Can it destroy any equipment (powerhead + cord) in it's aquarium?
3) Is a FOWLR appropriate for this species?
4) How often (and what) must it be fed?

Are there any good articles out there on this species that someone can suggest researching?

It seems like past threads on RC indicate it's a relatively peaceful member of the family and can be kept with tank mates....

Terrance
01/27/2013, 11:16 PM
1) I can't imagine anything breaking acrylic. Perhaps I don't understand this question.
2) They might take a bite at anything that looks delicious
3) FOWLR tanks with tankmates must be taken with caution. Almost all puffers are territorial, so a big puffer does not seem likely to tolerate tankmates in small aquariums. One might do well with tankmates for several years, but always remember that they can snap and eat up everything one day.
4. Feed crustaceans, the stuff you find at the seafood isle in grocery store. Raw shrimp, clams, scallops, etc. Never defrost and refreeze. Defrost in cup of tank water before feeding. Small puffer needs to be fed daily. As they grow, feed more but less frequently.

Gary Majchrzak
01/28/2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks, T.
Acrylic scratches easily and I'm concerned a puffers beak may scratch it.

DustyReefer
01/28/2013, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't imagine he would scratch the acrylic in your tank Gary, but he may nip at the cords as you stated, and I would be worried about your lps. People say that they will taste everything in the tank at some point. I was looking into a puffer as well, but after a lot of research couldn't justify putting one in my tank after I upgraded. In your tank which is sps dominant I'd say you have a better chance than most though, just weigh the risks I guess.

SDguy
01/28/2013, 09:54 AM
Hey Gary, you may want to ask this in the FO forum... I doubt many reef fish peeps will have first hand experience with such a monstrous puffer.

Gary Majchrzak
01/28/2013, 10:17 AM
Hey Gary, you may want to ask this in the FO forum... I doubt many reef fish peeps will have first hand experience with such a monstrous puffer.good suggestion! Thanks all you reef fish peeps.

Terrance
01/28/2013, 10:21 AM
For acrylic, there slight concern for scratches. When they are hungry, they charge at you. imagine them trying to swim through the acrylic. the beaks sometims rub against the acrylic. this is a common behavior, but the frequency of this behavior is different for each fish.

DustyReefer
01/28/2013, 11:51 AM
Ya I actually just got back from the LFS and brought this up to them, they said a large S&S puffer will more than likely scratch the acrylic.

sandwi54
01/28/2013, 11:59 AM
Out of the 7 various species of puffers I've had in the past, only one scratched the acrylic by running his teeth along the tank when he begged food for me. The rest of them did not.

There is definitely a risk but I have not cared much about acrylic scratches anymore. We are watching our fish, not the tanks!

Gary Majchrzak
01/28/2013, 09:59 PM
your input greatly appreciated